Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have mine programed my universal remote and stowed the Apple Remote.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
I don’t know if this will help, but the way we accomplish this is to take and attach different colored ribbons to the bottom of each remote. This way when they fall in little holes and crevices, they almost always have a little tail sticking out where you can find them easily.

Since doing this we haven’t lost one and there are seven in the house as well as three of them utilized by young children, the roomba even tried to eat one and was foiled :)

This gives the ability to color code them so mix ups are easily resolved.

Plus they kind of look snazzy believe it or not with a very brightly colored ribbon IMO.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
mine is just magically attracted to the side of my iMac, a 'feature' that I miss in the new Alu models:(... 'specially since my iMac, MacBook, and ATV all use the same remote in the same room!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Bought a Harmony One universal. Now I can control volume.

Not to get too off topic, but are those things as good as advertised? I didn't pay much attention to them because of price, but I saw that they could be programmed with multiple functions to "Watch TV" or other stuff. My mom would probably pay a bazillion dollars for something like that. If it works on even Apple TV, beyond awesome.

toddngina

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
Put it this way, by setting up "activities" my wife now uses our home entertainment system with a single gripe. That in itself is absolutely amazing, she hates having to worry about more than one box at a time. Its the best remote out there - period. Be prepared to spend a bit of time tweaking the settings a bit if you're picky like me, or maybe adding a few tasks to the activities, but once its set up, Harmony remotes can't be beat.

My Apple remote now sits in the bag for my new Macbook, which didn't come with one.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Put it this way, by setting up "activities" my wife now uses our home entertainment system with a single gripe. That in itself is absolutely amazing, she hates having to worry about more than one box at a time. Its the best remote out there - period. Be prepared to spend a bit of time tweaking the settings a bit if you're picky like me, or maybe adding a few tasks to the activities, but once its set up, Harmony remotes can't be beat.

My Apple remote now sits in the bag for my new Macbook, which didn't come with one.

Ten Four that on the wife now using the entertainment system. Best investment since the atv.

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
Ten Four that on the wife now using the entertainment system. Best investment since the atv.

Hah, I'll third that. My wife didn't touch any of the remotes before we got a logitech. Couple with the AppleTV, she uses the entertainment center far more than I do now. Its so wonderful to see her pick up the remote, switch to the 360 and start playing Bejeweled after watching encoded tv shows on the appletv all by herself.

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
I owned the 880 prior to the Harmony One. I hated it and sold it. Seriously one of the best universals I have ever used. I have it programmed for the ATV with the ability to setup aspect ratio for the plasma, set the volume, and you could even set the play button to work as the enter button just to help others. "why won't it play when i hit play?" says the others.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
I owned the 880 prior to the Harmony One. I hated it and sold it. Seriously one of the best universals I have ever used. I have it programmed for the ATV with the ability to setup aspect ratio for the plasma, set the volume, and you could even set the play button to work as the enter button just to help others. "why won't it play when i hit play?" says the others.

You sold the 880 in favor of the harmony one?
What were the factors that led you to the one over the 880?
I am looking now, but I don’t see any tangible reasons to distinguish each harmony from another exept for touchscreen functionality.

Could you elaborate on why you moved to the harmony one please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.