Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd keep using that 2012 MacBook Pro.
They're built like tanks, and chances are that 5 years from now, more 2012 MBP's will still be in working condition than are 2016 MBP's (with all their problems)...

I gave the OP the cheapest and easiest way to get "a modern backup" to supplement the MPB.
There's no other way that will be easier...

Reactions: mikzn

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I assume I have a rentna display, but how do I know for sure. I saw a website that lists vintage Mac products in the sets and obsolete in the rest of the world. My MBP is listed, but how do I know what kind of display I have?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 5.37.08 PM.png

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
So, for now, I'll let things be and when it gets really unbearably bad. Yeah, it might get pricey, but I am sure I can get a financing plan. Maybe I'll even call my local Apple store and explain my situation if time permits tomorrow.

2012 MBP's are still pretty awesome - got one myself ( 15" model) - the quickest and most effective solution might be to see if there are any large files such as movies - videos - etc. and any other files ( duplicates?) that you can delete and get more space to allow your back up to work faster - less space on both drives

Reactions: a-m-k

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
2012 MBP's are still pretty awesome - got one myself ( 15" model) - the quickest and most effective solution might be to see if there are any large files such as movies - videos - etc. and any other files ( duplicates?) that you can delete and get more space to allow your back up to work faster - less space on both drives
Thank you. I didn’t think of the apps I have that do that.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Is persistant system freezing and "typing lag" sign of a failing hard drive? I have done everything I can think of just short of asking to see if it would be possible to get a Genius Bar appointment. (The freezing is new.... Is that a sign of any kind?)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
It is probably time to be considering purchasing a new computer and also making sure that you have a backup of all your important data. Grab a new external drive NOW and get your important data on it! External drives are cheap these days compared to what they were even a few years ago.

An external HD that is on the way out usually starts making strange clicking noises and also may or may not stay mounted. If the drive suddenly unmounts itself in the middle of something, that is a pretty clear sign that it is on its last legs.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Is persistant system freezing and "typing lag" sign of a failing hard drive? I have done everything I can think of just short of asking to see if it would be possible to get a Genius Bar appointment. (The freezing is new.... Is that a sign of any kind?)"

You have a NON-retina 2012 MacBook Pro, is this right?

Chances are, the internal ribbon cable (that connects the internal drive to the motherboard) is failing. This is a common problem on the 2012 design MacBook Pro.
When the cable gets flaky, "good communication" between the drive and the motherboard is lost. Things slow down or won't work at all. It looks like the drive has gone bad, but it's "just the cable". Replace it and things go back to normal.

The replacement cable is not expensive.
It's easily installed.
The Apple genius bar may be able to diagnose this for you, BUT... they may not be willing to do the repair any more (yes, I know that sounds infuriating).

If that's the case, you can fix it yourself with a Phillips #00 driver and the replacement cable.
You can go to ifixit.com to see what's involved:
1. Take back cover off
2. Lift out drive and disconnect cable
3. Carefully disconnect cable from motherboard, plug new cable in
4. Re-connect to drive and then put the back on.

But if you're going to do that (or have it done for you), it would be a good idea to put an SSD inside. It will make the MBP "feel like new" again.

You could then take the old drive (that was inside), and use that for a backup drive.

I would use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create the backup (both are free to download and use for 30 days), and forget about Time Machine.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I'm sorry I haven't replied in a long time, I am currently enrolled in the BETA program because I honestly though my MBP would be rendered useless by now. I am amazed that it's just about seven years old. (In early December.) As for considering a new MB (probably a MBA), I have decent "cushion" that it would take up almost half of the cost of a fairly modestly decent MBA.

I don't remember if I have mentioned this here or not, but as of right now, the only things I have replaced are the hard drive bracket (I don't remember the exact name, I might be wrong) and my cord.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
What would you recommend, I mean for the external hard drive....

I always connected directly toward drive for the first Time Machine backs up your current Mac setup! After that I would put the drive on my Wi-Fi router USB port for the incremental backups after the initial backup! Works every time I get a new USB C drives to Synology Router 2600!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.