Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
EiO8VCbXsAAJGgl.jpg

How is this done? Where can you get different icons?

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
That phone was jailbroken. It isn’t possible otherwise, unless I have missed a new headline somewhere.
Jailbreak wasn't needed for this. There were some apps in the App Store that allowed you to create custom links to your apps and let you to pick the icon. So you would press on one of the icons and it would open Safari and then Safari would launch your app. Waste of time though and not sure if those apps are still around.

Reactions: rafark

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Jailbreak wasn't needed for this. There were some apps in the App Store that allowed you to create custom links to your apps and let you to pick the icon. So you would press on one of the icons and it would open Safari and then Safari would launch your app. Waste of time though and not sure if those apps are still around.
Thanks for the correction.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
I admit I thought it was an app that I could get. I didn't know i had to jailbreak it or jump through hoops. I am still sad this isn't an easy option but it is what it is.

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
Hi, iPhone's homescreeen is not required to look cute. It's homescreen is good itself. But we can download new wallpapers online.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To each their own. I know I could if I wanted but way to much work. I just saw pictures and thought is this an app that will change the icons? But alas no.
There are some possibilities now with iOS 14 and widgets and shortcuts:

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I admit I thought it was an app that I could get. I didn't know i had to jailbreak it or jump through hoops. I am still sad this isn't an easy option but it is what it is.

Yes, to use themes without gimmicks like Shortcuts.app, you need a jailbreak. If you have a device that's an iPhone X or older you can jailbreak regardless of the iOS version, as those have a hardware exploit.

After that, downloading Snowboard from Cydia (package manager) and the theme you want will apply it system-wide.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Yes, to use themes without gimmicks like Shortcuts.app, you need a jailbreak. If you have a device that's an iPhone X or older you can jailbreak regardless of the iOS version, as those have a hardware exploit.

After that, downloading Snowboard from Cydia (package manager) and the theme you want will apply it system-wide.
It’s not necessarily recommended to try a jailbreak unless you know what you’re doing though.

Reactions: anitak1982
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.