Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
I've seen a lot of recommendations for apps to move files using a mouse like Yoink, which I used to use, but I switched to using Alfred and created a simple workflow where I press OPT M after selecting files in Finder, to show a "move to" dialogue where I type in the folder name to move the files to.
CleanShot 2024-03-26 at 14.36.55@2x.png

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Drag and drop with option command key held down or cmd+C and cmd+opt+V at destination.

Last edited:

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I have long felt that Finder could really do with a simple "right click > Move to" function like Path Finder has, and maybe some other third party Finder alternatives.

• Love
Reactions: Alex Cai

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Drag and drop with option key held down or cmd+C and cmd+opt+V at destination.
Holding option key down while dragging and dropping copies the file to the new location. Simple drag and drop moves it unless the destination is on a different volume when it is copied there.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Or could have just done this with a Shortcut.

move.png

Personally, I like to go fairly minimal with my computers re "extra" software. Seen my share of folks that could not adapt to a new computing environment (or even same brand) because they're missing program A, B, C, D to do their job. So bare-bones Finder does what I need it to do, still use vi when editing text files.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

subzento

Suspended
Mar 24, 2023
Salt Lake City
Launch Finder, select files you need by clicking on them while holding the Command key, press Command + C to copy them - Navigate to the folder where you want to move the files and Press V.

Reactions: risswex

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Launch Finder, select files you need by clicking on them while holding the Command key, press Command + C to copy them - Navigate to the folder where you want to move the files and Press V.
As above, that won't work. You mean option+command+V to move them, or command+V to copy them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.