Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtmacb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Triangle, NC USA
I am a Realtor. I take tons of photos and videos. They are on an SD card that I insert into the side of my iMac and bring into Photos for editing and labeling before using for marketing purposes.

The first problem is that Photos does not give you a way to create an Album before you import the photos. In iPhoto you could create a Events and import your photos directly into the Event so that your photos were in their own little space from the very beginning. None of this importing, then creating an album then selecting and importing the photos into the new album. Seems so much simpler to do it the old way. I thought Apple liked simple.

Next, once the photos are imported I want to be able to select the first one's title box under the photo and type in a name. Then hit the tab, right arrow or enter key to go automatically to the next photo and type in the next title. If I have 70 photos or even just a few using Photos in its current form is very time consuming because I have to manually select the title box with my mouse. There is no way to use a keyboard shortcut or any other way than moving the cursor over the title box and clicking to highlight it. This is such a waste of time and I am shocked that Apple has not corrected it or that some other app meant to be used with Photos hasn't solved this problem. If one is out there I will gladly pay for it.

How are the millions of other Photos users quickly and easily labeling their photos. There is no quicker way that I can think of than tabbing from one title box to the next. If you have it please share it.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Since you take a lot of photos you probably could move to Adobe Lightroom or Elements. I haven't used iPhoto/Photo in a while. I was a heavy user since iPhoto 1.0. Back then you uploaded the photos and then you created a folder to place them in. With Lightroom, I start with creating my folders. First month of the year I create main folder for the year. Then from there I make a folder inside that year by events i.e. Concerts, Family, Clients. During the Upload process, I will label (keyword tag) each back with the Name of the Event, Month and Year Created, Names of people in photos, Place take, etc. I think with Photo you do that post uploading.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Yep. In Lightroom you type in the title, hit command-right arrow, and you're in the next image's title, rinse and repeat. You could probably also do a preset to say add language like the address to the start of the title. Lr could also put the images in folders by date or various other combos, depending on how you organize.

jtmacb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Triangle, NC USA
Thanks for the suggestions. I have both Lightroom and Elements, also Photoshop. While I understand that those programs all have advantages over Photos the issue I have is simplicity. Whether I am taking photos with my iPhone 6s Plus or my Canon digital SLR or my compact Panasonic Lumix cameras I find that having the access across all devices that Photos provides to be worth sticking with Photos unless editing is needed above and beyond what Photos can do. Not that this doesn't happen but for most of my photos there is little editing required.

What I was hoping is that someone could offer an app that would work directly with Photos that would allow the easy labeling of photos that was a feature of iPhotos. Using a totally different standalone app is not going to be my first choice.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I'm confused. Keywording in Lightroom is far simpler than any work-around you may find (doubtful you'll find anything). From Lightroom, just export to a Photos library and you have your distribution. Or, stop using Photos and find an iOS browser that provides for your needs. Or, perhaps rename with your tags in the name -- and pick an iOS browser that displays the name, and can actually sort by name (revolutionary).

You're not going to find a lot of support here for the Photos app. It's not because Photos is not "fancy" or "in". It's because it's a really poor implementation, subject to wonky performance (especially when using iCloud), subject to Apple's whims at the moment and subject to disappearing, just like Aperture.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
I feel your pain!!! Photos is a complete mess. I am trying to embrace it but I can't. I have kept iPhoto on my Macs and there is such a hugh difference in organizing and labeling folders. I also miss the Matte, Vignette and Edge Blur effects. Its amazing that Apple can ruin a nice simple photo application.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Thanks for the suggestions. I have both Lightroom and Elements, also Photoshop. While I understand that those programs all have advantages over Photos the issue I have is simplicity. Whether I am taking photos with my iPhone 6s Plus or my Canon digital SLR or my compact Panasonic Lumix cameras I find that having the access across all devices that Photos provides to be worth sticking with Photos unless editing is needed above and beyond what Photos can do. Not that this doesn't happen but for most of my photos there is little editing required.

What I was hoping is that someone could offer an app that would work directly with Photos that would allow the easy labeling of photos that was a feature of iPhotos. Using a totally different standalone app is not going to be my first choice.
No. The advice you've been given is sound. Stop using Photos. It's ****.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Sheesh, always with Lightroom users it cannot be done (in other applications). Never do their minds consider looking before saying it cannot be done. Never do they even try a search engine.

So, without in any way trying to compare Photos to Lightroom or say that Photos is better, here

When you import photos into Photos, they go into "Last Import"
Go there (you should actually already BE there). See that all photos there are only from your last import.
CMD-A
Create smart album project, whatever named whatever you like from these images.
You should now have a new smart album, and be in that album, with all the photos from your last import.
The order is different, but the difficulty is about the same.

Now, from within your smart album, project, or whatever, select the first photo on the list.
1. CMD-I to call up the information window.
2. Select Title.
3. Type in a new title
(I think you need to hit return to make it stick, but maybe not - this is from memory).
4. Tab until you are back to title (3-4 times? - you could program a macro).
5. Right Arrow
You are now on the next photo, in the information box, in the title box.
repeat 3-5 as needed.

You can also select a group of photos and CMD-I to type in something like an Address for all photos at a specific house, or all kitchen photos if you wanted to show a client all the kitchens for sale.

Hope that helps.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Yeah I don't get it. If you have Lightroom then use it. For me, time is money. If it will save you time, allow you to query and tag photos then why not use it.

The problem with an Extension App that will work iPhoto is that you could run into it not working in the future. Most 3rd party apps don't have long history of working with Apple Apps. I've been using iPhoto since version 1.0 and at the beginning you didn't have folders to back up. When Apple added a way to back up your photos, some of the tagging was eliminated in the next versions. The most I got were the year that the photo was created.

What you can also do is create a unique File number for your photos before they are uploaded. Only problem I can see there is that the File Numbering can be hard to pin point the photo you want. File Number would only include Date, Event, Location. If you tag a photo you can include who is in the photos. This is why we suggest Lightroom.

Don't just look at Lightroom as a photo editor because it not. You have lots of features that you can use especially for your business.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Sheesh, always with Lightroom users it cannot be done (in other applications).

Yes, it can be done. Hardly efficient, or convenient. Then, each pic has to have Info displayed to see the one and only tag for that one and only shot. There's a reason why LR, Aperture and now C1 are used by people who do a lot of photography. It's not only the development side but DAM as well.[/QUOTE]

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I am a Realtor. I take tons of photos and videos. They are on an SD card that I insert into the side of my iMac and bring into Photos for editing and labeling before using for marketing purposes.

The first problem is that Photos does not give you a way to create an Album before you import the photos. In iPhoto you could create a Events and import your photos directly into the Event so that your photos were in their own little space from the very beginning. None of this importing, then creating an album then selecting and importing the photos into the new album. Seems so much simpler to do it the old way. I thought Apple liked simple.

Next, once the photos are imported I want to be able to select the first one's title box under the photo and type in a name. Then hit the tab, right arrow or enter key to go automatically to the next photo and type in the next title. If I have 70 photos or even just a few using Photos in its current form is very time consuming because I have to manually select the title box with my mouse. There is no way to use a keyboard shortcut or any other way than moving the cursor over the title box and clicking to highlight it. This is such a waste of time and I am shocked that Apple has not corrected it or that some other app meant to be used with Photos hasn't solved this problem. If one is out there I will gladly pay for it.

How are the millions of other Photos users quickly and easily labeling their photos. There is no quicker way that I can think of than tabbing from one title box to the next. If you have it please share it.

I use Adobe Bridge to rate and preview all the photos in my SD cards. You can batch rename photos in Bridge and then import them to the album you create in Photos.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/how-to-batch-rename-images/

Last edited:

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Yes, it can be done. Hardly efficient, or convenient. Then, each pic has to have Info displayed to see the one and only tag for that one and only shot. There's a reason why LR, Aperture and now C1 are used by people who do a lot of photography. It's not only the development side but DAM as well.
[/QUOTE]

First, its not like the info box is huge or that you cannot resize it.
Second, that info box can apply to multiple photos- like if you want to assign one address or keyword to multiple shots as mentioned above.
Finally, it really is the same in Lightroom. The info is on the right side of the screen, but it still takes up space.

This reminds me of the person who told me how Windows was so much more intuitive than OS X. "For example," he argued, "You can just right-click on a file and select properties to see all the information you would need about a file or a folder." I pointed out to him how you could do the same on a Mac by using right-click and "get info." He then danced a merry jig trying to prove the Windows version was somehow more intuitive and convenient when it really was just the same.

Reactions: dlormans

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008

Second, that info box can apply to multiple photos- like if you want to assign one address or keyword to multiple shots as mentioned above.
Finally, it really is the same in Lightroom. The info is on the right side of the screen, but it still takes up space.

This reminds me of the person who told me how Windows was so much more intuitive than OS X. "For example," he argued, "You can just right-click on a file and select properties to see all the information you would need about a file or a folder." I pointed out to him how you could do the same on a Mac by using right-click and "get info." He then danced a merry jig trying to prove the Windows version was somehow more intuitive and convenient when it really was just the same.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't get your instructions to work in Photos.

I think you missed a step: since the info window is modular, you have to be out of it to select images. So you have to click or otherwise get to the Photos window itself, THEN the right arrow works. Then go back to the modular get info window. Quite a pain, since it requires many more steps, and I believe it requires mousing (I dunno how you get the info box to be active for entry without clicking it, but maybe there's a way). OTOH I don't see why it wouldn't work without needing to make an album first.

Rather fundamentally different than Lr; Lr's design is based on the absence of such pop up windows. I can't remember if Aperture had a way to go from image to image if you're typing in the Inspector HUD, but I would hope so. Maybe there's another way in Photos, but haven't found it.

I can't say I'm dancing a merry jig, but Lr is faster than Photos for data entry like this from the keyboard.

Reactions: The Bad Guy

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)

This reminds me of the person who told me how Windows was so much more intuitive than OS X. "For example," he argued, "You can just right-click on a file and select properties to see all the information you would need about a file or a folder." I pointed out to him how you could do the same on a Mac by using right-click and "get info." He then danced a merry jig trying to prove the Windows version was somehow more intuitive and convenient when it really was just the same.

I think you missed a step: since the info window is modular, you have to be out of it to select images. So you have to click or otherwise get to the Photos window itself, THEN the right arrow works. Then go back to the modular get info window. Quite a pain, since it requires many more steps, and I believe it requires mousing (I dunno how you get the info box to be active for entry without clicking it, but maybe there's a way). OTOH I don't see why it wouldn't work without needing to make an album first.

Rather fundamentally different than Lr; Lr's design is based on the absence of such pop up windows. I can't remember if Aperture had a way to go from image to image if you're typing in the Inspector HUD, but I would hope so. Maybe there's another way in Photos, but haven't found it.

I can't say I'm dancing a merry jig, but Lr is faster than Photos for data entry like this from the keyboard.[/QUOTE]

Tabbing put you in the info window and takes you out.

Open photos...go to last import and select an image. Do not double click. Stay in thumbnail view.
Cmd I to open the info window. Move it wherever you like so you can work.
Go to Title.
Type in your title.
Hit enter.
Tab 4 times
Arrow right
Tab once (this puts you in the Info window in the title section)
Type in your title
tab 4 times
arrow right
and so on

This is in fully up to date El Capita and Photos. No mouse after initial selection.

jtmacb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Triangle, NC USA

I can't say I'm dancing a merry jig, but Lr is faster than Photos for data entry like this from the keyboard.

Tabbing put you in the info window and takes you out.

Open photos...go to last import and select an image. Do not double click. Stay in thumbnail view.
Cmd I to open the info window. Move it wherever you like so you can work.
Go to Title.
Type in your title.
Hit enter.
Tab 4 times
Arrow right
Tab once (this puts you in the Info window in the title section)
Type in your title
tab 4 times
arrow right
and so on

This is in fully up to date El Capita and Photos. No mouse after initial selection.[/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1467376005][/doublepost]I do very much appreciate everyone's suggestions. It's just unfortunate that Apple screws up decent features in programs for no good reason. They can come out with all sorts of new features and pretty much invent new industries but they can't keep a simple tab to the next title box in Photos. Amazing stupidity for a company that is famous for having very bright people at the helm.

The best suggestion I've read so far is to import new photos into Lightroom then export them to Photos once I have cleaned them up and labeled them. If I understood that reply I could create an album in Photos and then just import the photos I've edited and named in LR.

Again, it's multiple steps I should not have to take but it is what it is so I will adjust my process of handling photos.

There is another reason why I do us Photos and that is the way all iOS devices work with photos. Photos may have its weaknesses but there are some inherent pluses simply because it's Apple's app. Of course that makes it bad in other ways too or we would not be having this discussion to begin with.

I hope everyone has a very happy and safe 4th of July holiday.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The best suggestion I've read so far is to import new photos into Lightroom then export them to Photos once I have cleaned them up and labeled them. If I understood that reply I could create an album in Photos and then just import the photos I've edited and named in LR.

Again, it's multiple steps I should not have to take but it is what it is so I will adjust my process of handling photos.

There is another reason why I do us Photos and that is the way all iOS devices work with photos. Photos may have its weaknesses but there are some inherent pluses simply because it's Apple's app. Of course that makes it bad in other ways too or we would not be having this discussion to begin with.

I hope everyone has a very happy and safe 4th of July holiday.
Photo Mechanic would also help, but lets stick with what you've got.

The Lr workflow would be pretty easy peasy, and you could do much the same with Bridge. Import through Lr, do your batch work, and then just open up Photos and import the whole folder of images into the Photos library (you'd have to do a copy into a managed library so they'd sync via iCloud Photo Library, which it seems you are using. Then go back to Lr and delete the images from both Lr and the folder, since now they're in Photos. (I'd leave 'em, maybe move them to an external, as a backup, and in case you decide to move on from Photos since the trip in is sorta one way.)

You can set up a folder to auto import into Photos; https://macosxautomation.com/automator/photos/import-action.html

Of course, Lr syncs photos with both iOS and Android devices as well. And you can do that selectively, instead of using Apple's all or nothing approach. Or look at Mylio; it's an even better syncing application than either Photos or Lr.

You wanna rely on a freebie application from Apple for your work (putting aside the not inconsiderable cost of Apple's online storage) you just have to put up with a reduced feature set. There are tons of alternatives, you just have to pay for some of them.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
You might need to send xmp files along during export. Photos has no way of knowing what you did in Lightroom. Easy enough, lots of garbage in image folders.

The app is designed for a very low level of dam requirements. Once you reach that limit, your screwed. That's why I use Photos as a distribution only app. Everything done in Lightroom, export resized/renamed to a folder Photos can import as an album. All distributed albums are refreshed and everyone's happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.