Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2012
UK
I keep my music library on an external drive, so in Mojave I had iTunes not to run at startup and when I needed to start iTunes I held down the "option" key to allow the library location to be specified.

Now in Catalina holding the "option" key when starting the Music app does not allow you to select your library location and just starts up.

Am I missing something obvious?

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
I keep my music library on an external drive, so in Mojave I had iTunes not to run at startup and when I needed to start iTunes I held down the "option" key to allow the library location to be specified.

Now in Catalina holding the "option" key when starting the Music app does not allow you to select your library location and just starts up.

Am I missing something obvious?
I was wondering the same thing

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Holding "option" to select the library is pretty standard across different Apple apps (i.e. Photos, iMovie, ...), so this omission seems pretty strange. I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but my guess is that Apple just hasn't implemented this feature yet in the new Music app yet and that it's coming in the future. If you can, you should probably file it as a bug report/feature request in the Feedback app.

What happens if you delete/rename the normal Music library in the Music folder? Does it just create a new one or does it let you choose?

Reactions: martyjmclean

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Yeah, definitely file this as a bug.

Remember, NOW is the time to file bugs for the most annoying and pressing issues. This very early beta period is when the biggest changes can happen. By public beta time a lot is already locked down and it's too late to get many changes in.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Yeah, definitely file this as a bug.

Remember, NOW is the time to file bugs for the most annoying and pressing issues. This very early beta period is when the biggest changes can happen. By public beta time a lot is already locked down and it's too late to get many changes in.
Yep, exactly. I'm not on the beta (not a developer) but I encourage anyone who is and who encounters this behavior to file a report for it; the more feedback Apple receives about it, the bigger the chances we'll see it changed. Not letting users choose the library they want to use seems like a pretty big omission and stepback from iTunes, but stranger/bigger omissions have happened with Apple's software redesigns in the past, so it's not out of question that Apple releases Catalina without it if not enough people voice their opinion.
[doublepost=1559684041][/doublepost]
It creates a new one. It does not let you choose.
Bummer.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A test that someone might try.
This assumes that you already have a "Music.app" library created and in your home folder.

What I would try next:
Make a COPY of the "Music.app" library (or is a folder?) to an external drive.

Now you have TWO Music.app libraries from which to choose.

Try opening Music with the option key held down again.
Does it see the new library, and give you the option of choosing between them?

One other thing:
What happens if:
a. You quit Music, then
b. Double-click on the Music library on the EXTERNAL drive?
Does Music.app open and use it?

hellfried

macrumors regular
May 3, 2008
Penang, Malaysia
A test that someone might try.
This assumes that you already have a "Music.app" library created and in your home folder.

What I would try next:
Make a COPY of the "Music.app" library (or is a folder?) to an external drive.

Now you have TWO Music.app libraries from which to choose.

Try opening Music with the option key held down again.
Does it see the new library, and give you the option of choosing between them?

One other thing:
What happens if:
a. You quit Music, then
b. Double-click on the Music library on the EXTERNAL drive?
Does Music.app open and use it?

Tried both methods. When I click on a mp3 in the iTunes folder on the ext drive, it plays in the Music app and gets added to the Music app folder. When I copy the Music app folder to the ext drive and open the app with the option key pressed down, nothing happens.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.