Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I finally had my first taste of HomeKit a few days ago and installed a few Lutron Caseta dimmer plugs. Since I'm really just learning and discovering what HomeKit can do, I may not even be going about this correctly, but I want some lights I have plugged into a few of the dimmer switches to all turn on at the same time. So, I thought the best way to do this would be to create a scene with all these lights on. This seems to work fine when turning on the scene, but how do I turn it off? I've tried, but it seems the only way is to turn each light off one at a time.

Being new to HomeKit I could very well be missing something obvious or simply not going about this in the best way. Maybe a scene is not the ideal way to do what I'm attempting?

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Scenes can contain both on and off actions. For example, for watching a movie you might have a scene that turns off the overhead lights and turns on a dim lamp. How would you "turn off" such a scene? There is no concept of "off" for a scene. In your case, you could create another scene which turns off those lights. Or even better, organize your HomeKit products into rooms. Then you can tell siri to "turn off the living room lights". Add rooms to zones and you can say "turn off the upstairs lights". You can also create a service group which contains all those lights, name it something like "living area lights". Then you could say "turn off the living area lights".

You'll need a HomeKit app such as iDevices or Eve Home, both of which are free, to manage scenes, rooms, zones, service groups and triggers/schedules. It's complicated at first but you'll get the hang of it.

Check out this video of an entire home controlled with Siri.

wav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Thank you for your reply. It makes a lot more sense now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.