Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trojan18

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Dreamweaver Noob here with a really stupid question.

When editing in design mode if I hightlight text and want it to be green, I just pick the appropriate box in the toolbar and change the color.

But in code view Dreamweaver automatically creates a Css code called span style 1.

I want it to automatically create font color=" " and not a CSS class.

Sorry, I'm old school I guess and I just like it better that way.

Is it possible to do this?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Don't have an answer to your question as i do my coding in a text editor, but I think that you should consider learning the new CSS techniques as there are many advantages over the old methods. The most commonly referenced advantage is that changing your site design is much easier as you only need to change one file instead of every page. If you ever want to change that green text to red, CSS is only one change versus a change for every instance of that green text. And it makes your code a LOT cleaner and easier to read/maintain. It takes some getting used to, but will be worth the effort in the end. Just my 2 cents.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Thats a great question. I've always wondered the same thing. Although, it is a good thing that it is using CSS, I do not like how it adds styles internally. I use MX not MX|2004. MX 2004 is the version where they started using CSS more rampidly.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
trojan18 said:
Dreamweaver Noob here with a really stupid question.

When editing in design mode if I hightlight text and want it to be green, I just pick the appropriate box in the toolbar and change the color.

But in code view Dreamweaver automatically creates a Css code called span style 1.

I want it to automatically create font color=" " and not a CSS class.

Sorry, I'm old school I guess and I just like it better that way.

first, i don't have an answer to your question. although, i imagine it won't let you use font because the <font> tag is deprecated, or will become obsolete.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_font.asp

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
ChicoWeb said:
Thats a great question. I've always wondered the same thing. Although, it is a good thing that it is using CSS, I do not like how it adds styles internally. I use MX not MX|2004. MX 2004 is the version where they started using CSS more rampidly.

Another plain 'ol MX user here. The loathing I feel for Mx 2004 is paralleled only by Windows.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Maybe this is just MX (which I use)--and I long ago stopped using FONT--but I can click the little CSS yin-yang icon in the inspector palette, and it turns to a yellow "A" icon and then gives me old-style font tags etc.

(Also... do you maybe have to turn OFF XHTML compliance, or choose non-CSS in some other way when you create the new blank page to start with? I don't know how MX 2004 handles things.)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Mike Teezie said:
Another plain 'ol MX user here. The loathing I feel for Mx 2004 is paralleled only by Windows.

:confused: wow really? I LOVE MX 2004 over MX. The CSS support is much better and I just all around find it better. I'm stuck using MX at work and I wish I could upgrade to 2004.

Devilmoth

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2005
trojan18 said:

It's quite possible, if the mac and PC versions are similar. Just go to preferences, and under the "general" category deselect "Use CSS instead of HTML tags".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.