Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnowNol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
This seems rather difficult to do. How do you manage to do it?

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
In portrait orientation I just use my thumbs or hold the iPad in one hand and type with the other. I don't find it difficult.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I want the option to use an on-screen keyboard the size of an iPhone. It would be great for us that type with one finger.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I want the option for a five row keyboard (numbers on top row), with cursor and tab keys.

It really bugs me the you can't tab from field to field when filling out forms.

Mbman81

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I want the option for a five row keyboard (numbers on top row), with cursor and tab keys.

It really bugs me the you can't tab from field to field when filling out forms.

You can press return on the keyboard or the next button above the w key to go from field to field.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I save the typing for when I'm sitting down. But if it's just a Google search or something, one finger in portrait.

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
There are also some iPad sleeves which have a slot or something on the back (slot is not the right word, but can't think right now), to put one hand to hold the devise while the other hand types. I'm thinking of the one from mar-ware, but I know the are others. I don't own it but it seems like a nice idea if you need to stand and type.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
The apple store in pentagon city is using ipads for genius bar check ins and floor help check ins. in both cases, the person used it standing up. i didnt pay all that much attention at the time but both seemed to be typing in fine though i cant imagine composing lengthy messages in that manner

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Hold the iPad with one hand and type with the other hand. Very easy, convenient, and fast.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
This seems rather difficult to do. How do you manage to do it?
Think of the iPad as a snare drum. Give it a little time and you'll be able to buy an iPad harness so the iPad can float in front of you with both hand free to type. :D

avery08.jpg

Photo thanks to the Wyoming Pipe and Drum Band. :D

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
Hold the iPad with one hand and type with the other hand. Very easy, convenient, and fast.

A guy told me the other day that he is thinking about putting Velcro on the back of the iPad and then sewing Velcro to a lightweight glove because he walks around the office all day with the iPad balanced on the palm of his hand while typing with the other.

He was serious. :)

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
A guy told me the other day that he is thinking about putting Velcro on the back of the iPad and then sewing Velcro to a lightweight glove because he walks around the office all day with the iPad balanced on the palm of his hand while typing with the other.

He was serious. :)

there are cases that you can hold it with your hand in that manner

Mr.Bender

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Well the best thing for typing standing up was buying the zagg protector it really add stickiness to the back so I can rest the iPad in the palm of one hand. Now for the typing part I had a book teaching one hand typing which now proves itself really useful.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Type standing up? For the men here: Bed & Bath stores will start selling an iPad mount for the toilet tank top, and another that can be mounted on commercial/public bathroom urinals. :D

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.