Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeGreo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
Okay so this is really frustrating. Why is it so freaking difficult to do something that should be straightforward.

Anything from the App Store is not possible. First Mojave doesn't show up in the App Store for me. Even if I get it to show up in the App Store and download it when the dmg file is run, it says it is not supported and will not run.

I have tried other things such as using Disk Drill to create a Mac OSX installer bootable disk, frustratingly, the dmg file is not possible to select and there is no reason given for not being selectable.

So how the heck do I get this working? I have already googled this and none of the explained steps work for this.

And no my laptop is quite old so I need to install Mojave because otherwise my laptop is going to be too slow for anything else probably.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
What I would do is this.

1. download the Mojave full installer, if you haven't already.
  2. Back up your Mac; Time Machine would be preferred for this.
  3. create the Mojave USB installer disk. Instructions for it are here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 . Follow the ones for Mojave. This has to be done onto a separate USB disk for it to work.
  4. That link in #3 also shows you how to boot to that USB stick to do the install. Additionally, when it is installing it will also ask you if you want to use Migration Assistant to restore your data from that Time Machine backup before starting the entire process.
This process worked for me from Mountain Lion all the way up to Sierra, and even getting back to Sierra, as High Sierra was too unstable for me. But if you get the full installer downloaded, the instructions in #3 will do everything for you.

BL.

Reactions: stradify

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Are you sure your Mac can actually run Mojave? Just because it's offered to you in the app store doesn't mean you computer can actually install it. (I know that sounds insane, but it's true). I had the same issue with my 2011 iMac which is pegged to High Sierra. For ages - probably intermittently all through the year Oct 2018 -> Sep 19 when Mojave was current - I kept getting notifications to update to Mojave even though I knew full well it could not be installed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

We can help you, but you're going to have to take things "one step at a time".

First, we need to know:
WHAT Mac do you have?
WHICH YEAR was it made?
Do you have a copy of the Mojave installer now?

Here's what you need to do:

1. BACK UP your internal drive as it is right now. I recommend either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Both are FREE to download and use for 30 days (doing things my way will cost you nothing).

2. Get a copy of Mojave if you don't have one.
Here's an easy way to do it (pay attention):
(clicking this URL will download dosdude1's "Mojave patcher" utility to your drive).
IMPORTANT:
When you run this, IGNORE what it says about "already supported system".
We're not going to use that. We don't need it.
All you need to do is go to the "tools" menu and choose the option to download a copy of Mojave. As easy as it gets.

3. Once you have the Mojave installer, you need to make a bootable USB flash drive.
a. You need flash drive 16gb or larger (I don't think 8b will work)
b. You need one of these FREE utilities:
- DiskMaker X
- Install Disk Creator
(google them and download the correct version for Mojave)
IMPORTANT:
If you try one of these and it doesn't work, TRY THE OTHER ONE.

4. Once you have the flash drive ready (again, be sure you're backed up):
a. Connect the flashdrive.
b. REBOOT and hold down the option key CONTINUOUSLY until the startup manager appears
c. Select the flash drive and boot from it
d. If it opens to the OS installer, you could TRY installing from "right there". This assumes your drive is already formatted to APFS (you didn't tell us). The install might work this way, without having to erase the drive.

e. If "d" doesn't work, you should erase the drive.
f. Quit the installer and open disk utility.
g. Erase to "APFS, GUID partition format" (THIS is why you need that backup!)
h. When the erase is done, quit disk utility and re-open the OS installer.
i. Begin clicking through. The Mac will restart several times, and the screen will go dark on you one or more times, with no other indication of activity. BE PATIENT.
j. When done, you should see the initial setup screen (choose your language).
k. Begin "clicking through". At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another drive. YES, you do.
l. Connect the backup and give setup assistant enough time to "digest everything". BE PATIENT.
m. I suggest you migrate everything (accept all the choices). Let setup assistant do its thing -- it will take a while.
n. When done, you should see your login screen.

Good luck.

MikeGreo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
Thanks for the responses.

I have done as you mentioned Fishrrman, and I was able to everything up to the point of Step 4. The USB disk is created with the disk creator and has the Mojave installer on it. But when I try to boot from the USB disk, I just get this sign/symbol and won't move forward from there.

y8ULs.jpg

Not sure what to do at this point.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Did I miss somewhere WHAT MAC you have, and WHAT YEAR it was made?

MikeGreo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
I have heard even unsupported Macs being able to upgrade to Mojave.

I read somewhere it might be a security feature enabled that is prevent external media to boot. But holding command + R didn't do anything so I haven't been able to change settings or see settings for this. This is an Intel based Mac btw.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Coastal wrote:
"High Sierra is the maximum Apple supported MacOS for a late 2009 MacBook."

If this is true, then the OP NEEDS the dosdude1 "Mojave Patcher" utility to do the upgrade.

OP:
Go to this page, and start "reading up":

Otherwise, Mojave will be "out of reach" for you on the particular MBP you have.

MikeGreo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
Already did this, but same issue. Seems like a boot issue to me.

Where is BIOS in Mac btw? I don't see any settings outside the OS.

MikeGreo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2019
I have been able to boot from that usb disk now and install Mojave. It completed successfully however after install completes I can never get in OS. It just keeps getting into USB boot where you have access to the installer and limited things like Startup Security Utility, Disk Utility, Safari, Terminal, Network Utility, macOS Post Install etc.

If I remove the USB and restart the screen shows a question mark.

I confirmed installation through terminal command. So Mojave is installed. Just can't seem to boot properly now.

sirroderick

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2018
London
OP:

We can help you, but you're going to have to take things "one step at a time".

First, we need to know:
WHAT Mac do you have?
WHICH YEAR was it made?
Do you have a copy of the Mojave installer now?

Here's what you need to do:

1. BACK UP your internal drive as it is right now. I recommend either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Both are FREE to download and use for 30 days (doing things my way will cost you nothing).

2. Get a copy of Mojave if you don't have one.
Here's an easy way to do it (pay attention):
(clicking this URL will download dosdude1's "Mojave patcher" utility to your drive).
IMPORTANT:
When you run this, IGNORE what it says about "already supported system".
We're not going to use that. We don't need it.
All you need to do is go to the "tools" menu and choose the option to download a copy of Mojave. As easy as it gets.

3. Once you have the Mojave installer, you need to make a bootable USB flash drive.
a. You need flash drive 16gb or larger (I don't think 8b will work)
b. You need one of these FREE utilities:
- DiskMaker X
- Install Disk Creator
(google them and download the correct version for Mojave)
IMPORTANT:
If you try one of these and it doesn't work, TRY THE OTHER ONE.

4. Once you have the flash drive ready (again, be sure you're backed up):
a. Connect the flashdrive.
b. REBOOT and hold down the option key CONTINUOUSLY until the startup manager appears
c. Select the flash drive and boot from it
d. If it opens to the OS installer, you could TRY installing from "right there". This assumes your drive is already formatted to APFS (you didn't tell us). The install might work this way, without having to erase the drive.

e. If "d" doesn't work, you should erase the drive.
f. Quit the installer and open disk utility.
g. Erase to "APFS, GUID partition format" (THIS is why you need that backup!)
h. When the erase is done, quit disk utility and re-open the OS installer.
i. Begin clicking through. The Mac will restart several times, and the screen will go dark on you one or more times, with no other indication of activity. BE PATIENT.
j. When done, you should see the initial setup screen (choose your language).
k. Begin "clicking through". At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another drive. YES, you do.
l. Connect the backup and give setup assistant enough time to "digest everything". BE PATIENT.
m. I suggest you migrate everything (accept all the choices). Let setup assistant do its thing -- it will take a while.
n. When done, you should see your login screen.

Good luck.
Thanks for these excellent instructions which I followed to the letter. Unfortunately they took me back to where I was a couple of days ago with this problem: Mojave doesn't recognise my GTX 680 as metal compatible (which it is) and so won't install. It's a know issue apparently. Someone here assures me it's possible but if it is it's obviously not this way. Thanks for post though - very clear!

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 152

diegodp

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2020
Hi guys,
due to software compatibility, I should upgrade my MacMini (Late 2014, 2.6 Ghz i5 - 8GB RAM 1600 DDR3 - Intel Iris 1536MB - SSD 480gb) from High Sierra OS to Mojave OS.

I've got some doubts, because I would not like to lose actual speed or increase lag during work with new OS.

What do you advice me? May I upgrade my Mac Mini to new os or try to stay on High Sierra still on?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Hi guys,
due to software compatibility, I should upgrade my MacMini (Late 2014, 2.6 Ghz i5 - 8GB RAM 1600 DDR3 - Intel Iris 1536MB - SSD 480gb) from High Sierra OS to Mojave OS.

I've got some doubts, because I would not like to lose actual speed or increase lag during work with new OS.

What do you advice me? May I upgrade my Mac Mini to new os or try to stay on High Sierra still on?

It won't hurt to try, but one thing you should definitely do before upgrading is to take a full backup of your Mac (Time Machine, CCC, SuperDuper, what have you), and make a USB bootable stick of High Sierra. That way if you see that Mojave is not to your liking, you can always blow away your Mac, reinstall High Sierra, and restore your Mac from that backup.

I did that with Time Machine while trying to take my MBA to High Sierra from Sierra, saw that it was way too unstable for me, used the USB Boot stick to blow away my MBA, install Sierra, and use Migration Assistant to pull back everything from my Mac's Time Machine backup, and was back in business within an hour.

So give it a shot, but make sure you have a way to roll back and restore everything prior to attempting it.

BL.

AcousticDi

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
I have a 2017 27" iMac with High Sierra. SuperDuper Backup AND current Time Machine as of TODAY. I have downloaded the Mojave OS Link from the Apple Store successfully and it now shows, "To set up the installation of MacOS Mojave, click Continue." Do I need to do the other lengthy instructions for this machine and update or am I ready to just click and go? I'm scared.... :oops:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 9.53.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 9.53.48 AM.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 52

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I have a 2017 27" iMac with High Sierra. SuperDuper Backup AND current Time Machine as of TODAY. I have downloaded the Mojave OS Link from the Apple Store successfully and it now shows, "To set up the installation of MacOS Mojave, click Continue." Do I need to do the other lengthy instructions for this machine and update or am I ready to just click and go? I'm scared.... :oops:

You could, yes. However, to play it safe, if you have a USB stick (4G at the minimum), you should make a USB installer of High Sierra. This is in case anything goes wrong during the install process for Mojave, so that you can blow everything away on your iMac, reinstall High Sierra, and use Migration Assistant during the install process to restore everything you have from Time Machine.

This isn't required for an install or upgrade to Mojave, but just a failsafe in case anything goes wrong.

BL.

AcousticDi

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
You could, yes. However, to play it safe, if you have a USB stick (4G at the minimum), you should make a USB installer of High Sierra. This is in case anything goes wrong during the install process for Mojave, so that you can blow everything away on your iMac, reinstall High Sierra, and use Migration Assistant during the install process to restore everything you have from Time Machine.

This isn't required for an install or upgrade to Mojave, but just a failsafe in case anything goes wrong.

BL.
Thank you Bradl. I found High Sierra at the Mac Apple Store, do I just download on my HD then put it on a thumb drive? Will I know where it stores it? Don't remember it giving me any choice of where to store on the Mojave Download, I just have it set to launch at present from the Apple Store. Appreciation your help!

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Thank you Bradl. I found High Sierra at the Mac Apple Store, do I just download on my HD then put it on a thumb drive? Will I know where it stores it? Don't remember it giving me any choice of where to store on the Mojave Download, I just have it set to launch at present from the Apple Store. Appreciation your help!

This will help you, as it is directly from Apple. Just follow the instructions up to where you find the ones for High Sierra. In fact, you should be able to directly copy and paste the commands into Terminal, and you'll be set.

Again, it isn't required for your upgrade to Mojave, but just a failsafe in case you need to revert back to High Sierra.

BL.

AcousticDi

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
Well, I never got the Mojave upgrade to work on my iMac... just stalled and never moved, twice. I am actually ready to to straight to Ventura after using a few months on a new MacBook Pro. Anyone done this successfully?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.