Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I think even the biggest Apple haters have to to admit at this point that Apple has by far the best, the most enviable eco-system out of any company right now.

It is a locked down eco-system and you have to do things the "Apple way", but if you buy into it, both, figuratively and literally, you will have the most integrated and seamless experience.

What I am fascinated by though, is not the end result, but what enables to deliver such an impressive end result. Impressive not just in the eco-system, but incredible logistics to keep everything going too.

It's incredibly hard to achieve such a smooth operation. And there are only two product companies that I can think of that have it. Apple and Porsche.

Year after year, both Porsche and Apple manage to innovate and deliver amazing products. I don't think there is a company out there who could have done the transition to a completely new CPU architecture as effectively and seamlessly as Apple did. This transition would have killed companies. Microsoft could not even transition between Windows Phone versions and ended up killing the product.

How is all of this organized? How do they ensure that middle management does not go out of control, that some manager does not get in there and ruin the culture, or some product owner does not make bad decisions resulting in series of bad products, or some designer or a developer does not screw up?

I have personal experience of all the above. Not to mention the usual scenarios where one person is pulling everything and the rest just do nothing.

Look at Google. They are clearly a disorganized and a disjointed organization. Even their own apps on Android don't have consistency in terms of basic UI elements and how they work.

I am sure the most hardcore Apple fans will find things to complain about how they ruined this and ruined that. But compared to other companies Apple looks extremely organized.

It would be fascinating to have a peek behind the curtain of what is actually happening and there how it all works. It could be a complete chaos and disorganization behind the stage, but that would have leaked on to the stage at some point if that had been the case.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I disagree with almost everything you have said here.

I own Apple devices and computers, but I primarily use third party services to keep my photos, email, contacts, calendars and notes synced. There are other services out there beyond Apple and whether the companies that offer those services are disorganized or disjointed isn't relevant to me as long as the services work.

Google works cross platform. So does Dropbox. SMS/RTM works cross platform.

Apple doesn't own me and it's entirely possible to use their products with non-Apple services.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.