Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racingman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
We all know that Apple had tried waterproof technology on iPhone 6 before it officially announced that iPhone 7 is water-resistant. This just got me to think that maybe Apple has always tested its innovative technologies in its current generations to test their features and then release the next generation full-fledged. Any similar cases in which Siri/FaceID/any innovative technologies were tested in earlier models and then later implemented in the next models?

Or, in short, how does Apple test its new technologies? How does it make sure it's safe/legit before it actually implements in a new device?

Reactions: Brianna124

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
We all know that Apple had tried waterproof technology on iPhone 6 before it officially announced that iPhone 7 is water-resistant.
Where did you hear that?!

Or, in short, how does Apple test its new technologies? How does it make sure it's safe/legit before it actually implements in a new device?

They have state of the art labs to test new features and they used concealed test models to use in real world with some of their employees. This is the general hardware manufacturing process in the industry anyway.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple surely has so many ways to test new technologies on current devices than you can ever imagine.
A couple possible ways that jumps into my mind:
1. Get production model and modify it with new technology when applicable, this includes loading future versions of iOS.
2. Build prototype devices to test out even newer technologies.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Agree, but can you think of any real examples? ex. Waterproof
Simple: build several prototype devices to test it out once the design is finalised and ready for field testing. Before that point, they simulate to find out obvious issues and fix them. This is one way they do it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
We all know that Apple had tried waterproof technology on iPhone 6 before it officially announced that iPhone 7 is water-resistant.

‘Waterproof technology in the iPhone 6’? I have to ask, where would you get a source for that? Because there was nothing remotely waterproof about the iPhone 6, now, the iPhone 6s used an abundant amount of adhesive, which allowed that device to be more water resistant, but without the actual rating.

But yes, it wasn’t till the iPhone 7 that they started using water resistant seals/gaskets, also with the introduction of the haptic home button which helped with the water resistance rating as well.

racingman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
‘Waterproof technology in the iPhone 6’? I have to ask, where would you get a source for that? Because there was nothing remotely waterproof about the iPhone 6, now, the iPhone 6s used an abundant amount of adhesive, which allowed that device to be more water resistant, but without the actual rating.

But yes, it wasn’t till the iPhone 7 that they started using water resistant seals/gaskets, also with the introduction of the haptic home button which helped with the water resistance rating as well.

Oh sorry, I meant iPhone 6s as they used the adhesive, as you have corrected. Thanks for your point, had almost forgotten about the haptic home button.
[doublepost=1562848731][/doublepost]
Simple: build several prototype devices to test it out once the design is finalised and ready for field testing. Before that point, they simulate to find out obvious issues and fix them. This is one way they do it.

Yes, understood, but that's still the prototype. I meant in the finalised devices, as they had kind of implemented waterproof technology in the actual iPhone 6s model, ready for sale. What I'm trying to ask is, has Apple ever tried to implement a technology in the finalised device without informing the public as to collect user reviews secretly (in a positive way, for technological advancement)? I hope I've made my point less confusing here :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Oh sorry, I meant iPhone 6s as they used the adhesive, as you have corrected. Thanks for your point, had almost forgotten about the haptic home button.

Yes, understood, but that's still the prototype. I meant in the finalised devices, as they had kind of implemented waterproof technology in the actual iPhone 6s model, ready for sale. What I'm trying to ask is, has Apple ever tried to implement a technology in the finalised device without informing the public as to collect user reviews secretly (in a positive way, for technological advancement)? I hope I've made my point less confusing here :)

No one here knows what Apple is doing behind closed doors. If Apple could make a more water resistant device and it was cost effective, they would do it.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

They can, theoretically. The problem is, once a device enters mass production, any design change will cost Apple much more than modifying a few prototype units. And they cannot start the production at the last second. They certainly can add small hacks or fixes during production for minor issues, but nothing too much they can do, and I believe the overall effect (of secretly collecting user feedback thing) is minimal.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

But the iPhone 6s wasn't water resistant. Apple simply applied an adhesive around the display and a gasket on the sleep button, likely to reduce dust.

iPhone 7 has full rubber gaskets around everything. This includes the SIM slot, speaker, Lightning port, etc. They also coated some board components with a clear epoxy resin. There's a night and day difference between 6s and 7.

racingman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
But the iPhone 6s wasn't water resistant. Apple simply applied an adhesive around the display and a gasket on the sleep button, likely to reduce dust.

iPhone 7 has full rubber gaskets around everything. This includes the SIM slot, speaker, Lightning port, etc. They also coated some board components with a clear epoxy resin. There's a night and day difference between 6s and 7.

Thanks all! I think I may have misunderstood Apple's intention. There really is a huge difference between 6s and 7.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I think we all do not have a clue and can just guess what they test.

I just have an example for home lighting cos im working in the field: Alone for the euopean market there is a 270 pages industry norm which applies before u can sell a single lamp/light.

There are climate chambers, electrical test rigs, mechanical test rigs for all sorts of conditions and requirements to proof. a whole industry working around product tests for FCC, CE and other norms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.