Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I've got a quick question about the new Continuity feature(s). How do they work? Does it use Bluetooth or Wifi or something? Are they compatible with iPhone 4s and iPad 3?

gabriellanata

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
I'm guessing its just basically airdrop that is always on. So therefore it would technically work on wifi or bluetooth LE as it would use the multipeer connectivity framework introduced in iOS 7.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
So then it'll work with the iPad 3 and iPhone 4s?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So then it'll work with the iPad 3 and iPhone 4s?

4S possibly because it will get iOS 8, but Apple does occasionally block features on older devices.

iPad 3 is not listed amount iOS 8 supported devices, so I wouldn't count on it unless we hear different before public launch.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
The release notes state they are using Bluetooth in B1 but were supposed to use Wi-Fi. So expect this to change as we go forward.

----------

4S possibly because it will get iOS 8, but Apple does occasionally block features on older devices.

iPad 3 is not listed amount iOS 8 supported devices, so I wouldn't count on it unless we hear different before public launch.

IPad 3 (or IPad with retina display) is listed and is working. I have one.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY

4S doesn't have AirDrop so I don't think so

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
The release notes state they are using Bluetooth in B1 but were supposed to use Wi-Fi. So expect this to change as we go forward.

----------

IPad 3 (or IPad with retina display) is listed and is working. I have one.

Ok then. The keynote made it look like it wasn't.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I hope it will continue to be able to use either Bluetooth or Wifi. There are often situations where my laptop might be plugged into a wired network and my phone is on a wifi that's on a different subnet, where one won't be able to reach the other. Bluetooth would make a useful fallback.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Will it work with data? I rarely use wifi. Seems like the automatic hotspot may make it possible without wifi.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I hope it will continue to be able to use either Bluetooth or Wifi. There are often situations where my laptop might be plugged into a wired network and my phone is on a wifi that's on a different subnet, where one won't be able to reach the other. Bluetooth would make a useful fallback.

Well it seems to work via Bluetooth between my 5 and 5S that self-sync'ed right after I installed the beta on both (presumably via iCloud login)

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I can't get it to work. Tried it between my iPad air and my iPhone 5S but nothing is "continued" :rolleyes:

Pretty strange to suddenly start seeing SMS messages on the iPad. My ADT Pulse system sends a SMS when I arm and disarm the system and now they show up almost instantly on my iPad too when my 5S is near the iPad!

It is VERY clearly all via Bluetooth as iOS 8 suddenly setup bluetooth links between my 5S, my test 5 and my iPad Air.

If it isn't working for you make sure you have bluetooth active on all the devices.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Is Your Bluetooth icon shown as active during the connection?

I have not seen it flash as active but I would suspect Apple would suppress the icon being active during the transient use of bluetooth (tho sis well within their power of course)

I will play with the feature with WiFi disabled tomorrow to prove the point but there is no other reason I can think of for iOS 8 to suddenly start linking all the iOS 8 devices via blueooth except to do this.

bansh

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
Frankfurt
Tried it also with bluetooth but it does not work for me right now. still trying to figure the issue out :confused:

uPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Since you can use continuity to turn on your iPhone's hot spot, it seems like it should work when you don't have a WiFi network to connect to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.