Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Hey all! Super OCD person here with an iPhone X, been vigilant looking for symptoms of ghost touch ever since it was first acknowledged by apple and granted a replacement program.

Recently I've been kinda freaking myself out thinking I'm noticing it here and there, but I don't even know if that's how it really works. I'll use my phone as normal and then be on a web page or chat log and it'll bounce up a few messages instantly or something - more like an app/site bug than anything.

Is ghost touch ever something that just happens occasionally or is it typically more of the wild freakouts and random tapping you see in the videos about it? Is it something that can even come and go, or is typically there to stay when it happens? Would love insight from techs and/or people that experienced it on their X models.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If your phone had ghost touch you'd know it. The phone will act like someone is opening apps and performing operations without you touching the screen.

Last edited:

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
If your phone had ghost touch you'd know it. The phone will act like someone is opening apps and performing operations without you touching the screen.
That's what I've resigned to - I'd know it if I actually had it. So it's not something that just happens occasionally with a tap or scroll here and there, it's full tilt haywire or nothing?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
That's what I've resigned to - I'd know it if I actually had it. So it's not something that just happens occasionally with a tap or scroll here and there, it's full tilt haywire or nothing?
Well I'd think you'd notice your touch input not responding too. Like having to press an app icon more than once to open... When did you purchase the phone?

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Well I'd think you'd notice your touch input not responding too. Like having to press an app icon more than once to open... When did you purchase the phone?
I've had it since launch in 2017. Was hoping to get another year out of it, shockingly battery health is still at 87% after 3 years and average 5 hours screen on per day. Haven't had any issues with touch response, honestly I believe it's fine - it just has me paranoid whenever I notice anything weird.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've had it since launch in 2017. Was hoping to get another year out of it, shockingly battery health is still at 87% after 3 years and average 5 hours screen on per day. Haven't had any issues with touch response, honestly I believe it's fine - it just has me paranoid whenever I notice anything weird.
Well they'll only replace the display for three years from the original purchase date of the phone so if you got it in November 2017 you're either out of the requirements or by the end of this month you will be.. I bought mine December 2017 around Christmas so I have around a month left. Your battery has done very well! Mine is at 82% and I was considering having Apple replace it as the phone has been rock solid for me and I'd like to see what next years phones offer before upgrading

Last edited:

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Well they'll only replace the display for three years from the original purchase date of the phone so if you got it in November 2017 you're either out of the requirements or by the end of this month you will be.. I bought mine December 2017 around Christmas so I have around a month left. Your battery has done very well! Mine is at 82% and I was considering having Apple replace it as the phone has been rock solid for me and I'd like to see what next years phones offer before upgrading
Holding out hope for 120hz next year. With the ghost touch thing, is it something where they fixed the issue on the replacement displays or have people been through multiple over time?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Holding out hope for 120hz next year. With the ghost touch thing, is it something where they fixed the issue on the replacement displays or have people been through multiple over time?
Hard to say.. Mine has lasted 3 years so far so maybe there was a batch of bad displays and it was sorted out in later production..

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
It never happens on my iPhone. My iPad Pro, the last one, is notorious for ghost touches especially on YouTube.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Hard to say.. Mine has lasted 3 years so far so maybe there was a batch of bad displays and it was sorted out in later production..
Hmm, come to think of it I watch a ton of youtube on my phone at night and would probably notice the screen reacting when watching videos. Unless it's something that specifically happens when you're actively interacting with the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.