Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmt43

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
I spilled coffee on my ipad (dumb move!) and the screen went black. I thought it was a goner, so I bought a new one. But I left the other one to dry out and a couple days later, it seemed to be working. I am leaving it to dry for a while longer. The new ipad restored from iCloud. I am using it now. My question is how does iCloud update when you have 2 of the same devices?

I assume when I turn on the old iPad, it will contact icloud and update its data from icloud, not the other way around - e.g. ipad data will update the cloud. I was a little worried that once the old one booted up, it would overwrite my current iCloud data, but that is not the way it works, is it? The data on the old ipad will be updated with what is on icloud since that is the most recent date. Is that the way it works?

Just didn’t want to lose anything - I‘ve updated photos, files, documents on the new iPad and do not want to go back to what was on the old ipad last week. thank you!! Donna

misterlwc

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
London, Belfast, Barcelona
These things happen, accidents happen, I've done this myself before.

There is iCloud backup, which essentially backups iPad data, such as Home Screen layout, certain app data and settings, we can view this in Settings, your name/"Apple ID" (at the top), "iCloud", "Manage account storage" and "Backups". Although the new iPad was restored from the previous device's backup it is a separate device and will backup as a new device, meaning both devices will show up as separate backups.

There is then sync options, sync will transfer certain app data, photos/videos, etc, between both device via iCloud when it changes. We can view this in Settings, your name/"Apple ID" (at the top), "iCloud", followed by "Show All" under "Apps using iCloud"; anything enabled in this list should sync between devices, such as if iCloud Photo Library is enabled any images taken on one device should be accessible on the other and vice versa.

Although your previous iPad has powered back on be cautious, as corrosion may form on any components that liquid has reached and it may power off again in the near future.

Reactions: dmt43
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.