Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I don't have a Ipod touch yet, waiting for Ipod touch 5th generation, I have seen my friend Ipod touch 4 gen with the lastest IOS 5.1.1 and it looks great.

I was wondering what new feature does the Ipod touch 4 gen get from updating to IOS 6?

My friend will only update when IOS 6 can be jailbroken. Will there be a jailbreak for IOS 6?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Questions about future jailbreaks make me facepalm, especially when the final version of iOS 6 isn't even released yet. I'm sure after the iOS 6 GM build is seeded to developers there will be a tethered jailbreak not many weeks later. The untethered solution will take a while, as I recall it wasn't until a week or two before Christmas last year that there was untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1. It all varies, could be a week, month, ten months, basically, don't ever ask this question and expect to given an answer that isn't vague or give an exact date or "yes" or "no."

EDIT: In regards to the feature the 4th gen iPod rich is getting with iOS 6: www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

super michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
My friend only get firmware update when its officially released, he doesn't get beta version.

Hmm my friend doesn't mind if it tethered or untethered so that is no problem, although if its untethered that be great.

Thanks for the link, I see that the Ipod touch is going to get some new great features.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
When I mentioned the iOS 6 GM build I was saying that once that is released then the Dev Team will begin working on that and get a head start before it's officially released, at least I'm assuming, since the GM build tends to be the same as the final release. I've had bad luck with tethered a jailbreaks so I prefer to stay away from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.