Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
Hi

As far as I know generally when you try to download an app from Mac App Store eventually it will create a folder in /var/folders/XX/[alphanumerics]/C/com.apple.appstoreagent/com.apple.appstore/[UUID] and then 4 files will be downloaded, .pkg .pfpkg receipt & flyingicon. I know it's so complicated to even get to this stage but I am curious what's the next step? How the app is gonna be installed after this stage?

Just went ahead and tried to open that .pkg file but it threw an error [com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1] so apparently it's not installable at least for now.

333.png

Can you please let me know what is going to happen to these files and why the .pkg file is not ready to use?

Thank you.

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Every app I've downloaded from the Mac App Store installed itself. There's no need to worry about those other files.

Even complex apps such as Microsoft Office 365 installs itself.

What kind of problems are you having?

Reactions: brante

brante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
No any kind of problem.

Everything is installing fine and nothing to complain about!

Actually I'm curious to know the technical steps behind the scene on how Mac App Store makes a .app in /Applications/ out of those 4 downloaded files and why that .pkg is not installable?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
There can be many reasons why a .pkg isn't installable. For example, the download might have malfunctioned in some way, so the .pkg contents is damaged.

I did a web search for "preflight.pfpkg" (including the quotes), and one of the top hits is this:

It describes some problems with updates, and looks at some of the inner workings of App Store downloads, at least as far as they apply to updates.

Here's the follow-up article mentioned, and it's much more detailed about the sequence of events:

That article mentions log entries, which should be viewable using Console.app, and should be present on a default OS.

There might be other developer tools that let you poke around in the .pkg, and do things like list things, check signatures, etc. It's almost certain that those would be command-line tools, so if you're familiar with Terminal you might start using just the basics like 'ls', 'cat', 'hexdump', etc.

Other tools might be present in an Xcode download, so look there. Beyond that, you'll probably need to look at websites where lots of Mac developers hang out.

Reactions: brante

brante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
There can be many reasons why a .pkg isn't installable. For example, the download might have malfunctioned in some way, so the .pkg contents is damaged.

I did a web search for "preflight.pfpkg" (including the quotes), and one of the top hits is this:

It describes some problems with updates, and looks at some of the inner workings of App Store downloads, at least as far as they apply to updates.

Here's the follow-up article mentioned, and it's much more detailed about the sequence of events:

That article mentions log entries, which should be viewable using Console.app, and should be present on a default OS.

There might be other developer tools that let you poke around in the .pkg, and do things like list things, check signatures, etc. It's almost certain that those would be command-line tools, so if you're familiar with Terminal you might start using just the basics like 'ls', 'cat', 'hexdump', etc.

Other tools might be present in an Xcode download, so look there. Beyond that, you'll probably need to look at websites where lots of Mac developers hang out.

tbh I thought it's going to be lots easier to figure it out but apparently it's not the case. So yeah probably I have to go through the articles and ask for some help in dev's community.

Thanks for your answer, really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.