Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I'm interested in getting started with homekit and I read on Apple's new homekit page that they now support triggers. How are those setup? I don't understand, is it using 3rd party apps? What if my hardware's app doesn't implement it?

smharm13

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Yes you would set it up in the app you use to configure HomeKit. Unfortunately Apple doesn't have a product t one weirdly enough there is an app called Home I use that looks as if Apple designed it and let's you configure all aspects of HomeKit

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Yes you would set it up in the app you use to configure HomeKit. Unfortunately Apple doesn't have a product t one weirdly enough there is an app called Home I use that looks as if Apple designed it and let's you configure all aspects of HomeKit

Could you give me an example of how I'd setup my porch light to turn on at dusk and off at say 1am? I'm using the Home app but cannot seem to figure out how do do this.

smharm13

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
You use triggers to enable scenes that might be part of you problem. create a scene called "im home" or something of the like. Then under condition you might list 1am. then create another trigger for dusk which would be a time event sunset.

does that make sense?

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
If you are looking for a free option to check out Triggers our ConnectSense app supports all the HomeKit profiles and supports triggers. You would first need to setup a scene for what you would like the result to be and then you can set up a trigger based of a number of different things. This can be the state of a device (Ex: I turned off this light, now I want this scene to run to turn off all the other lights) or it can be a Timer (Ex: Its 1 AM and I am going run a scene to turn off certain lights).

Let me know if you have any other questions about this, happy to help!

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Thanks guys! I didn't realize I had to create a scene first. I didn't have to do that before with the WeMo app and bulbs, but I can see why you'd need to do that with this since it's so much more powerful. I used the Home app since I already purchased it a few weeks ago.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you are looking for a free option to check out Triggers our ConnectSense app supports all the HomeKit profiles and supports triggers. You would first need to setup a scene for what you would like the result to be and then you can set up a trigger based of a number of different things. This can be the state of a device (Ex: I turned off this light, now I want this scene to run to turn off all the other lights) or it can be a Timer (Ex: Its 1 AM and I am going run a scene to turn off certain lights).

Let me know if you have any other questions about this, happy to help!
When you setup a trigger in your app, is it your app that watches for the trigger conditions to be true and fires off the action?

i.e. If I set a trigger to run at 7pm to turn on the porch light scene, but then turn off my iPhone completely at 6:50pm, will the trigger still fire at 7pm?

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
When you setup a trigger in your app, is it your app that watches for the trigger conditions to be true and fires off the action?

i.e. If I set a trigger to run at 7pm to turn on the porch light scene, but then turn off my iPhone completely at 6:50pm, will the trigger still fire at 7pm?

In my experience the device that you created the rule on is what runs that rule so in your scenario no that trigger would not fire at 7PM if your iPhone was off.

Reactions: aristobrat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.