Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
I'm a new homepod user (picked up a mini to see if can replace an Alexa device) and the way the homepod manages 3rd party music providers confuses me. The way I understand it, if I ask for something from Spotify, the homepod makes an airplay connection to my phone and the music streams from there.

If I'm not home, does that mean anything that relies on my phone (like 3rd party music streaming) stops working? The homepod is a non-starter if it only works when I'm around.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'm a new homepod user (picked up a mini to see if can replace an Alexa device) and the way the homepod manages 3rd party music providers confuses me. The way I understand it, if I ask for something from Spotify, the homepod makes an airplay connection to my phone and the music streams from there.

If I'm not home, does that mean anything that relies on my phone (like 3rd party music streaming) stops working? The homepod is a non-starter if it only works when I'm around.
Apple opened up the HomePods to third party music streaming apps but Spotify refused to integrate so yes, the only way to play Spotify to the HomePod is to AirPlay from your phone.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.