Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I asked Apple if I could still get the AppleCare+ discount if I buy it separately from a MacBook Pro. That is, try the computer first and if I decide to keep it, then buy AppleCare+ with the discounts. Also, I asked if I could use the gift card to pay for Apple Care+ later when I decide to buy it. The first agent said yes to both. The second agent said no for the first question but he said that I could use the gift card to buy AppleCare+. This is strange as I would need to finish the transaction (buying MacBook Pro with AppleCare+) first before Apple would send me the gift card number which would be too late for me to use it to buy AppleCare+. I questioned him and he told me to make the purchase first and once I have the code, contact tech support via phone!

Who is correct? Has anybody tried what I want to do?

Last edited:

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
From my experience, you can get the Apple Care+ educational discount after the purchase of your computer by contacting Apple on the phone. After verifying my identity and my purchase, they sent me a link by email where I could put my billing informations and pay the discounted Apple Care+ coverage. I paid by credit card, so I can't say if they accept payments like gift cards by phone, but I'm pretty sure the link that they sent me only accepted credit cards. You'd be better to call them and verify this information.

So, definitely yes for the first question, but I'm not sure about the second one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.