Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Does anyone have the camera kit for iPad? How exactly does it work? You plug in your camera or USB stick and it import your photos. But can you manage them? Or does it appear all in one big album like your camera roll in iPhone? Also, does it import videos from camera? Anyone can share their experience please? I'm about to buy one!

CameraGeek

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Chicagoland
Does anyone have the camera kit for iPad? How exactly does it work? You plug in your camera or USB stick and it import your photos. But can you manage them? Or does it appear all in one big album like your camera roll in iPhone? Also, does it import videos from camera? Anyone can share their experience please? I'm about to buy one!

My 2 cents. I use the iPad largely for this exact purpose.

When you import you are given a choice to keep them on the camera or delete them. seems the iPad processes the images so most of us are keeping them to import to a computer later.

You either use the connection kit to load from an SD card, which you can slide into the camera kit, or by connecting the USB from your camera to the second camera connector. There are 2 with the kit - one SD only the other a USB.

You can choose which to import, but managing them is a bit of a problem. They import as events only and there is little if any opportunity to sort them without an app to do so.

I does import the videos from my Canon 5D Mark II but they cannot be played.

And this past weekend I found a bug when I shot a bunch of family photos, imported them and kept them on my camera, then went back and shot more, when I then tried to import more from the camera it would import one or two photos then crash. every time.

So it works, but clearly there are improvements that could be made IMHO.

I bought a couple apps to sort photos but none I'd recommend yet....

Hope this answers part of your questions....

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
My 2 cents. I use the iPad largely for this exact purpose.

When you import you are given a choice to keep them on the camera or delete them. seems the iPad processes the images so most of us are keeping them to import to a computer later.

You either use the connection kit to load from an SD card, which you can slide into the camera kit, or by connecting the USB from your camera to the second camera connector. There are 2 with the kit - one SD only the other a USB.

You can choose which to import, but managing them is a bit of a problem. They import as events only and there is little if any opportunity to sort them without an app to do so.

I does import the videos from my Canon 5D Mark II but they cannot be played.

And this past weekend I found a bug when I shot a bunch of family photos, imported them and kept them on my camera, then went back and shot more, when I then tried to import more from the camera it would import one or two photos then crash. every time.

So it works, but clearly there are improvements that could be made IMHO.

I bought a couple apps to sort photos but none I'd recommend yet....

Hope this answers part of your questions....

wow thanks a lot, so basically:

1) No photos management, but at least it splits them automatically into events.
2) Vidoes import is broken

One more quesiton, if you import some photos and chose to keep them on the camera then later on take some more photos and import again. Do you get duplicates? Or is it smart enough to only import the new ones?

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
wow thanks a lot, so basically:

1) No photos management, but at least it splits them automatically into events.
2) Vidoes import is broken

One more quesiton, if you import some photos and chose to keep them on the camera then later on take some more photos and import again. Do you get duplicates? Or is it smart enough to only import the new ones?

As another reference point: videos from my Sony W130 came through just fine.

It is smart enough to see the duplicates and ask if you want to skip them or re-download them...

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
As another reference point: videos from my Sony W130 came through just fine.

It is smart enough to see the duplicates and ask if you want to skip them or re-download them...

Great news thank you!!

CameraGeek

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Chicagoland
Kinda

It shows the ones you imported with an icon (I seem to recall a green check mark).

Yes you could get duplicates if you didn't see the ones you imported, I guess.

The videos import but it drives me crazy trying to figure out how to view them. They are MP4's so I guess it makes sense to someone at Apple.....

Still a great tool for in the field work especially if you want to email or post photos quickly....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.