Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProgRocker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
I'm a Win10 user who has been thinking about picking up an iPad (Pro, Air, Basic) however I have always been put off by the filing system and lack of connectivity. I pop in from time to time and look about to see if there have been any changes. This time around I understand there is a files app of sorts that is somewhat similar to the Windows 10 file/folder system in that you can move files to and from USB storage devices, create folders, move, delete, ect.

Please tell me how this all works and how close to a Win10 PC file system it is. Any negatives to using this and how far along they've come. I understand there is the cloud system but I would much prefer to just move files where I'd like without any restrictions.

Thank you...

pja2536

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia
ProgRocker,

Files is "like" Windows Explorer but not as good yet. That said it IS quite usable on an iOS device. It also is under active development and can only get better over time. I store ALL my important documents in the Files app in the iCloud.

By the way, from a browser on your Windows PC you can access Files in iCloud.

If you are going to switch you need to put some time into learning and understanding how the Share Sheet works. It goes hand-in-hand with the Files app.

One last thing, you will be amazed at how much safer an iPad/iPhone is compared with Windows. It's all to do with the way the operating system is designed and the protections around it - protections from YOU the user, protections from wayward apps and protections from external sources.

I made the switch some years ago from Windows + Android + ChromeOS to a MacBook Air, iPad Air and iPhone (now 11). In light of my experience and with the development of iOS devices I WOULD NOT buy a new Mac (it's a great laptop) but would use a new iPad Air 10.5" screen and get a bluetooth keyboard if you need one. You can even use a mouse if you must.

Good luck and stay safe,
Peter

Reactions: jhall8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.