Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L int.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Amersfoort, NL
a question for the keyboarders of you...

I want to purchase a MIDI Keyboard, and would like to know if the "hammer action" (like a real piano), or "semi-weighted" keys come closer to the natural feel of a hammond organ and clavinet respectively.

I am not a pianist, but want to learn some basics (hammond & clavinet) on a keyboard for music production on Logic.

Also: if i want to play the above mentioned instruments - how many keys would you recommend - do i better get the 88, or would 61, or 49 still be fine.

any help appreciated, thanks,

Joe

Reep

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
SoCal
The non-weighted keys would feel more like a Hammond and would allow greater flexibility for that style of playing. Neither are like the waterfall keys of a hammond, although you can get those through the Roland or Korg B3 clones. I have had both weighted and non-weighted. If I was playing only limited expressive piano pieces I would go with non-weighted. But, if you are into expressive keyboard playing, nothing feels like playing on weighted keys.

I hope this helps.

L int.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Amersfoort, NL
... I was expecting that.

will think about it and probably go for a semi weighted 49 since i will use it for composing rather than for real piano playing.

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.