Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BijouMan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2022
As I was messing around with CellMapper, a website which shows cellular signal maps of every carrier around the globe, I noticed something odd. In every other country, every carrier has a unique mobile network code (MNC) and uses it throughout the country it serves. Not in India, however. In India, the carriers all use many different MNCs for different parts of India. As far as I can tell, a SIM can only be associated with one MNC. Open the Field Test mode and under "Registered Plmn Status," the "PLMN" field shows the mobile country code and mobile network code of the SIM you used to enter the Field Test mode. Does this mean that everyone in India has to have separate cellular plans for each part of the country? (If your device cannot find a tower with the same MCC and/or MNC as the one of your SIM, that is what triggers roam mode.)

prithvi64

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
No. It's same SIM throughout country valid and no roaming concept anymore. Now, all carriers have one nation one sim model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.