Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
Well, It has a piezoelectric speaker, which produces the click you hear.
Every time you do something on your iPod (click a button, scroll the Click Wheel, etc.), your iPod makes a “click” sound. This is basically audio feedback so you know “things are happening” when you press something. As well-designed as this is, it does tend to drive some people mad!;)

smohsin

Suspended
Apr 13, 2022
The clicking sound that the iPod makes is actually just a vibration of the metal backplate. The backplate is connected to the click wheel, and when you press down on the click wheel, it causes the backplate to vibrate. This vibration is then amplified by the metal casing and turned into sound.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The main clicking sound when pressing buttons is purely mechanical but in addition, the internal (piezoelectric) speaker supports it by adding a “click“.
When scrolling (and alarm), it’s the speaker alone.
This artificially generated clicking can be turned off in settings (at least on my Classics).

Attachments

• iPod-5G-piezo.jpg
    iPod-5G-piezo.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
I remember my ipod touch 1st also having a piezo in the rear cover, for click and alarms

ipodgenie34

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2023
I am confused about how it works
The Classic lineup of iPods has a small piezoelectric speaker inside that makes those noises. In this image I am showing the iPod Classic 4th generation Monochrome, where you can see is a small piezo "buzzer" that makes those clicking noises. The way it works is it is 2 pieces of small material acting as a small speaker. The thing is not powerful enough to output actual sound from music, rather just certain frequencies hardcoded into the iPod's firmware.
1673471911014.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.