Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I have AT&T on a iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 15.6 and last got a visual voicemail on July 14. I happened to try leaving myself a voicemail today and I wasn’t notified and nothing downloaded. I tried going into the greeting and my custom greeting didn’t load. I could hold down 1 and get to my voicemail that way (had 1 other voicemail), but restarting the phone would not get the phone to actually use visual voicemail.

I used AT&T’s automated troubleshooting tool and it tried a few things to fix it, but finally after it “re-routed voicemail” things started working. It did go out briefly again and told me to ”call voicemail” and I lost service, but toggling airplane mode off and on got it back.

One of the questions it asked me though is whether Internet over cellular was working which it was. That makes me wonder how visual voicemail works? It seems to access the voicemail system as if I try to dial in, I get a message that the voicemail is in used by another user (the phone), but the wording seems to indicate it accesses it over the Internet and needs to have cellular data. Does that mean visual voicemail over Wi-Fi won’t work?

Does anyone know how Visual VoI email works?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
So I broke my visual voicemail again. It seems like after accessing visual voicemail over Wi-Fi calling, it stops working until I reboot my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.