Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I'm getting ready to purchase my first iPhone next week and I'm looking at cases that don't cover the bezel (like this case), though I will have a screen shield on the phone. (I want minimal bulk.)

How scratchable is the bezel? Will it be jacked up and nasty-looking in no time if I have case that doesn't cover the silver bezel?

I'm pretty careful with my electronics though it will be in and out of my purse and pocket.

Jon619

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
yeah, the bezel scratches very easily. It's not really noticeable unless you are looking for it, but just know that it scratches.

travistaylor

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
I might try an old trick on my new iPhone 3GS. Back in High School, a friend of mine took glossy scotch tape and applied it to his phone's screen (old Nokia phone). He then took an exacto knife and cut the tape to fit his screen. This allowed for great protection, and was hardly noticible.

I might try to apply some tape to the bezel and cut the excess to protect. Of course, I just intend to give this a try...not rely on it forever.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
BestSkinsEver. Search for it on Google.

I've had it on my 3G for months and my bezel is flawless. The skin is barely noticable and completely invisible on the back. This will keep your chrome Apple logo pristine too.

I should also mention that it's more fingerprint resistant than the plastic back.

There's nothing you can do to protect it.

Except what I just suggested.

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've used Invisible Skins before and was checking out BSE but I couldn't tell if they covered the chrome. Do they? If so, which part - the front skin or back skin?

I really liked the protection the Invisible Skins provided but I like to change cases a lot and sometimes the skins get in the way. If the front BSE skin covers the chrome maybe I'll try just using that....

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I got so fed up with the scratches on my first gen, that I took a brillo pad to the bezel and created a matte finish. I like it a lot at first, but now I wish I had kept it shiny, and scratched.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
BSE will cover the curved portion of the bezel. Which means most of it. But it won't cover the part of the bezel which is flush with the screen. ie the 1mm wide part of it which runs flat all around the front of your iPhone. It has kept my 17 months old iPhone as good as new except for that small front bezel part. I wish someone would make a screen protector for iPhone which is just 1 mm longer on all 4 sides. That way your iPhone will be completely immune to scratches. Also the gap between the bezel and the screen results in water reaching inside the iPhone if u accidently drop a few drops of water on ur screen. It happened with my 1st iPhone and resulted in slight screen damage. If the screen guard was another mm long and covered the bezel then there would be no way for that water to reach insidethe iPhone.

Also beware that within a few months the BSE will change it's color from invisible to a little yellowish(thanx to your body oil). It might not noticable on the black 3G but will easily ruin the looks of your White 3G or the original 2G iPhone. Even with that -ve, I will never use my iPhone/iPod without BSE or invisible sheild.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
It scratches really easily, I have just given up caring. Something like this would protect it. I had this case, its an 8/10. Not too bulky but it does collects random fuz inside.

Shaan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I am looking for some sort of skin material like what is used in the Zagg IS or the BSE that just covers the chrome bezel so that I can use this with an Incase Slider or other case and not risk scratched the bezel.

Does something like this exist, thanks for any help.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
My case covers the bezel but it's still scratched up. Doesn't really matter though. Once you get enough scratches it begins to look like brushed aluminum LOL :D

Shaan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I hate how the bezel looks when it gets scratched and my iPhone 3G's bezel is pretty scratched up from the Incase Protective Cover I think.

When I get my 3G S I want to find a way to prevent the bezel from being scratched. I am looking for some sort of skin to protect the bezel if such a thing exists.

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm..that stuff looks interesting. I'd be afraid I might also scratch up the glass when I was buffing the bezel.

I'd also be interested to hear user feedback.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hmm..that stuff looks interesting. I'd be afraid I might also scratch up the glass when I was buffing the bezel.

I'd also be interested to hear user feedback.

You could tape everything up barring the bezel, ie the screen and the back. I was thinking of doing this after seeing a few youtube videos of guys doing the "brushed look". I tried the taping job as an experiment with black masking tape (and an exacto knife) and it is very easy to do.

Here is one review I found and there are probably more. This is very new.

http://www.ipodobserver.com/ipo/review/radtech_bezel_blaster/

Shaan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
The only possible complaint you might have is that after refinishing, the bezel was slightly less shiny and had more of a satin finish than before. Personally, I like the satin look much better anyway, but if you prefer ultra-shiny metal and don't mind living with scratches and abrasions on your device, this product may not be for you. Other than that, if you've got scratched metal on your iPhone, iPod, or other device, Bezel Blaster is like magic.

This scares me a little bit so I would also like to see some people try this before I pick this up but definitely something to consider. Thanks for finding this.

Shaan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I am probably going to order that Bezel Blaster stuff.

I also stumbled across this on the RadTech Website:

bty1.jpg

Unfortunately this is only available for the iPhone 2G. I want the back piece that is in the picture, does such a thing exist for the 3G?

Just a square piece like a Zagg or BSE that would cover a lot of the back but not have to deal with shaping the corners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.