Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How excited are you about the new Mac Pro?

• So excited!!!

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • OMG OMG OMG!!!

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Yay a new expensive toy.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Eh.

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
Very! Finally an real successor to the cMP! What do we call this one? eMP? Enhanced Mac Pro? Expandable Mac Pro? Enticing Mac Pro?

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Woot woot!

Ha no Phill on stage to intro the Mac Pro!! hahaha
Not a little bit, should have been just a motherboard :mad:.

Just kidding. Hard to be sure until we know more but it really looks promising. The thing is a beast. How user upgradable will it be?

Reactions: Jyby

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Not a little bit, should have been just a motherboard :mad:.

Just kidding. Hard to be sure until we know more but it really looks promising. The thing is a beast. How user upgradable will it be?

With PCIe 3 - not as much as it could have been.

Reactions: Jyby

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Whilst pci-e slots there then not going to be what looks like standard external mountings for them.
Those graphics cards look like still internal routing to tb3 ports on the new Mac Pro.

Think a lot of people still going to complain about this.

But I do think apple took it a bit literally when people said they wanted an updated cheese grater.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Visually, it is quite ugly IMHO. Its massive power is impressive and I love that Apple finally has something for the real pros again. As an enthusiast with modest but specific needs and wants (and a budget I live after even though I could fairly easy afford a mac pro if I wanted) I really don’t need this nuclear reactor of power, but the mac mini with its soldered SSD is not for me either. I need to look elsewhere and build something for myself once my 2012 mac mini dies.

ridgero

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2017
A niche product.

I rather buy an iMac i9 with 8 cores for half the price.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
It’s hard for me to wrap my head around all the specks. I think apple listened and gave a lot of us what we were looking for and a few things we didn’t know we wanted.

If we can get upgrades to the ssd’s and graphics mods I can see this being a long lasting product.

The base price is a little high, but I’ll have to live with it.

vladid

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
A niche product.

I rather buy an iMac i9 with 8 cores for half the price.

Yup, just placed my order for one to be delivered on Wednesday from B&H. The Mac Pro doesn't meet my needs, it exceeds it. I don't do 8K Prores Raw editing and likely never will, but I am glad that Apple is here now to meet the demands of super users.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It’s hard for me to wrap my head around all the specks. I think apple listened and gave a lot of us what we were looking for and a few things we didn’t know we wanted.

If we can get upgrades to the ssd’s and graphics mods I can see this being a long lasting product.

The base price is a little high, but I’ll have to live with it.
Apple even showed the picture of Sonnet FUS-SSD-4X4-E3 card for 4 M.2 blades on the keynote when showing PCIe cards.

I bet that HighPoint SSD71xx line of cards will work too.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Apple even showed the picture of Sonnet FUS-SSD-4X4-E3 card for 4 M.2 blades on the keynote when showing PCIe cards.

I bet that HighPoint SSD71xx line of cards will work too.
I was looking for 2 m.2 slots and 2 3.5 bays, but it was not to be.

However I can live with an external storage as long as apple offers upgrades to the T2 connected internal storage.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I was looking for 2 m.2 slots and 2 3.5 bays, but it was not to be.

However I can live with an external storage as long as apple offers upgrades to the T2 connected internal storage.
T2 connected storage with iMac Pro are non standard, I bet that Apple did the same again since the T2/T3 have the storage controller and the "blades" are just NAND modules.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
I’m happy with the more ergonomic handles. The cMP has cool looking handles but they were a pain when moving the machine around, which is a pain when you have a bunch in a lab.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
T2 connected storage with iMac Pro are non standard, I bet that Apple did the same again since the T2/T3 have the storage controller and the "blades" are just NAND modules.

It's understandable why Apple uses a proprietary connector, as the T2 chip handles the encryption.

So I can live with that, so long as they sell them in the Apple Store or online at apple.com. Sort of defeats the point of a modular Mac Pro if they don't offer upgrades.

Maybe they won't, but it seems like a good idea, that way maybe I order my mac with one SSD, then later I can buy another one.

Anyway, I'm sure we can use the PCI-E to M.2 boards offered by third parties, but they would be outside the secure enclave offered by the T2.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Not at all excited about the new Mac Pro..... Great for pros, but way more computer than an average Joe such as myself would ever need.

I would be way more excited it Apple came out with a reasonably priced Mac Mini with specs meet the needs of the average Joe or Jill, rather than the latest Mac Mini, which seems to have pro pretentions, and pricing to match.

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
Visually, it is quite ugly IMHO. Its massive power is impressive and I love that Apple finally has something for the real pros again. As an enthusiast with modest but specific needs and wants (and a budget I live after even though I could fairly easy afford a mac pro if I wanted) I really don’t need this nuclear reactor of power, but the mac mini with its soldered SSD is not for me either. I need to look elsewhere and build something for myself once my 2012 mac mini dies.

The Mac mini is looking more and more as the spiritual successor to the 5.1 Pro. Outside of storage bays it has everything I could ever need in it for my home server applications.

And j agree, my first though seeing the thing was WTF Apple. It's seriously ugly. Very industrial box with iPhone esque handles. And air vents that look downright violent.

Last edited:
Reactions: entropi

G10

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
I am so excited about the new mac pro that I'll be ready to afford one and upgrade in the next 9 years. Just like the current one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.