Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lausse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Got a maxed macbook2,1 late 2008 w 8GBRAM and 1TB samsung HDD in one bay and 128GB M4 Crucial SSD (M4-CT128M4SSD2 Revision: 2) in the other bay. The SSD has the system and apps only - but the HDD the homefolder.

It has worked for almost two years. But now Im stuck...

Occasionally every now and then (each 2 hour or so) - it freezes. I have done a lot of research and tests but everything seem to be ok. Repaired all permissions, checked all drives, MEMtested RAM. Using DrivePulse I noticed the SSD isnt showing each time the freezez begins. Starting with beach ball and sometimes ending up with even replacing my desktopimage with gray nothingness - the SSD always missing from the topmenu.

If I restart it often locks at a new total grey screen before all apple logos and everything - but if i the press restart a second time it shuts down. Next time i press it it boots as it should and work for some 2 hours again.

So - now I wonder - is there anything I can do to make the connection to the SSD more stable. Its in the SuperDriveBay.

Cause if Im guessing right, its no use buying new SSD - that will only repeat the same behaviour if its something ejecting the disk, right?

Ideas anyone?

SOLUTION: Updated Crucials Firmware from rev 2 --> 040H - think it was an power shortage issue cause I saw it should fix that and that would explain the suddenly ejects.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.