Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Before I go ahead and order my 14” MacBook Pro, I’d like to hear about how your experience with 27” external displays has been.

I’ve read about some issues with external
displays and I’m wondering if the majority of owners don’t have any issues at all when running a 27” monitor. Perhaps it’s just a small group who has issues, or maybe it’s owners of a certain type of display?

Good or bad, I’d love to hear your input!

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Mine MBP 2020 still has flicker issue, no matter what external displays I tried.
But for me, it's not a bid deal because I rarely use external displays with a laptop

Memolomazo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
No problems but definitely it doesn’t work like windows (quick screen recognition by the os)

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've used the Ultrasharp 27 4k and Ultrasharp 25 QHD and they worked fine on my 2021 M1 PRO MacBook Pro. The monitors exacerbate the Monterey memory leak problem though.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I thought the memory leak issue had been patched, having been identified as caused by users who chose the new option to customise the colour of their pointer via Accessibility.

astorre

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
MBP14, I have Samsung 34" ultrawide and it looks like my mouse pointer is on 10fps, tearing or blurr or whatever its called, tried different cables DP/HDMI, still the same result :(:( compared to my old gaming PC it looks way worse

dahlblom

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
Seems to be functioning well with 14" MBP and my old Apple Cinema Display.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
My MBP Max works really well with my LG UltraFine 5K Display. Then again, so did my 2015 MBP and 2019 MBP.

Can someone explain to me how/why I could buy this for $1000 five years ago. Yet today, the same exact monitor costs $1300 and no one else makes a 5K monitor!?! Regular TVs get better and cheaper...but anything above a 4K monitor does the opposite!?!

I have a 2015 iMac with a beautiful display - why can't I just buy that display?

sb in ak

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Homer, Alaska
Working fine with my BenQ SW270C via USB-C. I had to unplug the monitor from the computer and power one day to get it to recognize the machine, but no issues otherwise.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I have a 2015 iMac with a beautiful display - why can't I just buy that display?
I've wondered this for a long time. It doesn't seem too long since Apple used to market their own branded monitors based around the displays in their then-current iMac models. Then all of a sudden, they didn't, other than the HDR thing that costs the price of a decent used car which no one except photography, graphics design and video professionals can justify.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
MBP16" M1 here, used daily with LG 4K 27" monitor...
I have problems using USBC-DP cable - with this setup some apps don't work at all (e.g. Microsoft OneDrive crashes after launch). I could "solve" it by turning off DP1.2 in the monitor (does not support DP1.4) but I saw worse display quality like this... (btw. a friend of mine has the same problem with Intel 16" MBP after upgrading to latest Monterey, so it's not M1 specific)
So I switched to USBC-HDMI cable and I have zero problems since then, everything works as it should, no flickering, no black screen after wake, all perfect!

Reactions: davedirect

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've wondered this for a long time. It doesn't seem too long since Apple used to market their own branded monitors based around the displays in their then-current iMac models. Then all of a sudden, they didn't, other than the HDR thing that costs the price of a decent used car which no one except photography, graphics design and video professionals can justify.

You can buy just the monitor: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMUB2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

jshcy

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
I have used my 16" with two LG 4K 27" and 32" USB-C monitors separately. It has worked without any issues at all.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
MBP16" M1 here, used daily with LG 4K 27" monitor...
I have problems using USBC-DP cable - with this setup some apps don't work at all (e.g. Microsoft OneDrive crashes after launch). I could "solve" it by turning off DP1.2 in the monitor (does not support DP1.4) but I saw worse display quality like this... (btw. a friend of mine has the same problem with Intel 16" MBP after upgrading to latest Monterey, so it's not M1 specific)
So I switched to USBC-HDMI cable and I have zero problems since then, everything works as it should, no flickering, no black screen after wake, all perfect!
Which LG 4K 27” monitor are you using??

jshcy

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
My company bought this monitor for me from CDW. It's at least two years old. I do not believe that exact monitor is still available, but I would like to think similar LG monitors would work well.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I'm using my 14" M1 Pro with a 5-yr old LG 27" 4K monitor (UD-68) at 60hz and it works great. I run it in HiDPI mode at "Looks like 2560 x 1440", which is the same effective resolution as the 27" iMac / LG 5K Ultrafine and a great size for text and icons. I run through a Caldigit TS3 Lite dock (Thunderbolt 3 from MBP to the dock, and Displayport from dock to monitor).

Everything looks fantastic, text looks super smooth (even when I move my eyes super close to the screen), and window movement is very smooth at 60hz even with the non-integer scaling.

I ran this same setup for prior 5 years with my 2016 13" MBP (first generation with touchbar) as well, generally without issue. My usage is pretty light graphics-wise, so transition to my new 14" MBP was pretty seamless.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
benq pd2700u, has random flickering issues on my M1 Max. can go several hours or days between the issue flaring up. I've tried multiple cables. Also worth noting the display and cables both work flawlessly on my 2018 MacBook Pro and PC work tower, so its a compatibility issue with this M1 machine for sure.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
Running on Gigabyte M32U 4K 144Hz with a single cable USB-C 3.2 Gen2 no issues. I was able to use 48-144hz refresh rate as well at 4K + KVM Mouse Keyboard and Camera.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.37.11 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.