Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Apple icon > System Preferences > Network > (pick the network card you want) > Advanced.

I think the first screen that pops up (TCP/IP) is what you want.

edi.ah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Apple icon > System Preferences > Network > (pick the network card you want) > Advanced.

I think the first screen that pops up (TCP/IP) is what you want.

but that dont gives me the option to reset my macbook ip

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
This depends. When you go into the TCP/IP settings there is a Renew IP Address button. If you click it you may get a new one, you may not. You could select the pull-down that says "DHCP and tell it "Off", click OK and Apply, then go back in and select DHCP, OK and Apply and see if you get a new one.

Chances are your router has associated an IP address with your MAC of hardware address and will automatically give you that one. If thats the case you need to go into your router and see if you can edit its DHCP table and delete the entry for your computer. If you can do this do it with your computer off, just in case it wants to pick it back up again.

A last resort would be to reset your router to clear its DHCP table.

Just spit balling some ideas here.

edi.ah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
This depends. When you go into the TCP/IP settings there is a Renew IP Address button. If you click it you may get a new one, you may not. You could select the pull-down that says "DHCP and tell it "Off", click OK and Apply, then go back in and select DHCP, OK and Apply and see if you get a new one.

Chances are your router has associated an IP address with your MAC of hardware address and will automatically give you that one. If thats the case you need to go into your router and see if you can edit its DHCP table and delete the entry for your computer. If you can do this do it with your computer off, just in case it wants to pick it back up again.

A last resort would be to reset your router to clear its DHCP table.

Just spit balling some ideas here.

thnks i would try this,
now, i found that the ip given in this page http://whatismyipaddress.com/ its not the same that i have in tcp/ip menu. why is that?:confused:

edi.ah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
it doesnt work, anything,
this is my problem im trying to download something from rapidshare, but i get this message...

ERROR
You want to download the following file:

Your IP address is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed.

but im not!

try reset safari, reboot, reset modem, but cant fix it. :(:apple:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
try reset safari, reboot, reset modem, but cant fix it. :(:apple:
Sounds like your have a router on your network.

Internet providers generally only give one "public" IP address per customer, and the router uses that IP address.

For the other computers on the network, the router gives them "private" IP addresses (typically starting with 192.168.x.x).

whatsmyipaddress.com will report back the "public" IP address. So if that doesn't match what your Mac says, then chances are there's a router on your network.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
If resetting your modem doesnt fix it, then you have a static IP, or one that only changes every X days. Probably 30 or something.

dampfdruck

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
The IP address that Rapidshare records is of a transparent proxy at your ISP.

Your ISP is piping all internet traffic through transparent proxies to save cost and to improve internet speed.

Rapidshare could also use the external IP address of your DSL router. They don't do this to create more insentive to purchase a Rapidshare account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.