Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
One of the big misses with the new Mac Pro is the lack of upgrades. Here's how I upgraded my 7.1 Mac Pro:

Bought an almost new "open box" base model at Microcenter for around $4000. (They discount heavily, it was literally brand new)

Still got Apple Care on it, like a new system.

Bought a 28 core Xeon on ebay for like $1k, upgraded it myself - been rock stable for years now

swapped out the 256GB SSD for an Apple 4TB drive (Granted the new Mac Pro can do this too)

swapped out the base ram, and added 196GB of ram for a few hundred dollars - oem kits off ebay for super cheap.

Swapped out the base 580x, and have tried as series of GPUs since - even AMD 6900 XT gaming cards, and settled on the W6800x Duo.

Also have tried Vega II Duos bought for much cheaper on ebay in the past

Still the possibility of adding more ram, SSD, or even other more powerful GPUs - possibly even W7xxx if Apple gives us those drivers.

Not bad - and everything I did not use, I was able to sell on the second hand market and recoup most of my money and keep upgrading.

With the new Mac Pro, you sort of have to sell the entire rig to do most of the big things - no CPU, ram, or GPU.

Ah, the good ole day of the 7.1 are still good -not to mention for my workflow with r3d raw files being GPU heavy, 7.1 is still likely faster. it's not done yet!

The 7.1 still feels like it has so much potential when I look inside - so many GPUs you can fit in there, and of course various types of storage cards.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
That was a good score. I checked Microcenter the other day and they showed zero 7,1s in stock at any of their stores nationwide. I was hoping maybe they had some clearance deals like they did for their remaining 6,1s just after the 7,1 launch.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
One thing I've noticed (unless I'm not searching correctly) is the W3275M 2,5ghz 28 core CPU is hard to find, and if you do it is USD$5000+.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
One thing I've noticed (unless I'm not searching correctly) is the W3275M 2,5ghz 28 core CPU is hard to find, and if you do it is USD$5000+.

This one is claimed to be a genuine Mac Pro pull for $3,499.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.