Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forannunci

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2024
Good morning,
I have doubts about how Icloud works.

If my iPhone is stolen and for some reason they have access, what will happen with the management of ICloud files?

If I deactivate iCloud on the iPhone all the synchronized files are removed as they should be, but do I delete the files saved on the iPhone for safety or do they remain saved on the device?
For example, how does the photo app behave with active optimization?
Will the optimized photos be removed but the preview remains? as well as photos in original format?
And what about third-party apps like WhatsApp?
Thanks

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
If someone has full access to your phone, they have full access to your iCloud management so they can delete files and photos from your iCloud account.

When turning off iCloud different apps behave differently.

iCloud Files deletes all files off the device. There’s nothing left to “remove” after that.

Photos will download full resolution photos when turning off iCloud (photos) assuming they aren’t already downloaded.

Other Apple Apps will either remove the content or ask if you want to keep it or remove it from the phone.

Third Party apps all behave differently depending on whether the data they store is in iCloud Drive or simply keeping a backup there, but the “iCloud” data is removed off the device. If the app keeps a separate local copy, that will remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.