Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i have the new MacBook Pro 15" LED, and am considering getting a 30" ACD as an external monitor for retouching and DVD watching.......

How does this combo work ? are there any issues i will run into ??

thanks!!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:pPC6800)

I was under the impression that the 30" acd requires two dvi inputs, of which the mbp would only have one. anyone know?

tardinha

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
do it!

it works perfectly. i love it!

i have 17" Hi Res MBP, combined with the 30" ACD, I couldn't be happier.

Mark :)

i have the new MacBook Pro 15" LED, and am considering getting a 30" ACD as an external monitor for retouching and DVD watching.......

How does this combo work ? are there any issues i will run into ??

thanks!!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Dual Link DVI Does Not Mean Two DVI Inputs

I was under the impression that the 30" acd requires two dvi inputs, of which the mbp would only have one. anyone know?
You're kidding right? 30" monitors use Dual Link DVI which is ONE cable with ONE connector on each end. All Mac Book Pros have Dual Link DVI outputs and can easily drive any 30" Monitor.

There is no such thing as a dual input for one image monitor. However, there is such a thing as a THREE Dual Link DVI input HP LP3065 monitor for only $1240 after rebate through Halloween that is a much better buy than the Apple ACD. :eek:

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Just make sure you keep the battery out of the laptop if you've got it plugged in all the time... I have had my MBP hooked up to a external monitor with BT keyboard etc and now I have like 10 minutes of battery life because it just always stayed plugged in

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
ok, but if you are running the MBP 15" and have the MagSafe
you are screwed if it accidently gets pulled out .....no....

maybe tape it to the MBP ??

or get a APC Battery Back Up ......

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
The size of the screen doesn't matter, only the resolution.

The monitor have it's own power source. All the MBP do is sending information trough DVI cable. Yes, in itself it does take more power from the MBP, but it is a totally NORMAL utilisation. Also, having two screen mean more pixels so more calculation for the MBP, but again, it's a computer, it is a giant calculator, it is totally normal.

As for the battery, DO NOT use your MBP without it, because the MBP is programmed to run at half it's capacity when running without the battery, even when the charger is plugged.

The reason this guy is having 10 minute of battery life is not because of an external monitor but simply because he obviously always use is MBP with the charger on. The electron NEED to move into a battery to maintain a good "health". Battery life is more affected by time it stays unused (or fully charged with the charger) than cycle. USE your battery, don't fear using it for two hours at starbuck or going into your living room without the charger. The worst thing to do is always looking for a place to plug the computer. The battery is made to be used.

Of course, you can keep the computer plugged in even if the charge is at 100%, just use the battery from time to time. Also, do a Calibration every 1 or 2 months like Apple reccomand (type "Battery calibration" in the HELP search of Mac OS X)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.