Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Just got a car with CarPlay. Is most of the code on the iOS side so it gets updated that way? Is there a mechanism for patches/fixes/updates to CarPlay in the car itself?

Thanks,
Chris

jiehanzheng

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
I think the code on your car head unit is simple. Other than integration with other modules on your car, it just relays touch input and "plays" a video stream. Your iPhone takes in the touch input events and renders the "video" for your car to play...so I think you are right that most code is on the iOS side.

Regarding updates to the car software, I believe your dealer can install them, if available?

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Carplay operates from and through the phone and the head unit only acts as the display. From time to time there will be head unit firmware updates due to changes in the way ios sends information to the head unit. But otherwise, when ios is updated, so is carplay since they're one in the same.

5pctoff

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017

5pctoff

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Exactly! I have just thought that I am only person see this problem. Hope update later more well

Well, I just found out a friend with an expensive BMW doesn't have CarPlay next turn info on its head-up display either--that made me feel a little better :p

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Well, I just found out a friend with an expensive BMW doesn't have CarPlay next turn info on its head-up display either--that made me feel a little better :p

Currently this is one of the big drawbacks with Carplay. They mentioned that integration as a feature back when, but I don't know of any commercially available cars that actually implement it. My 2018 435i has wireless Carplay, but the GPS directions don't show up in the heads-up display when using Carplay. Thankfully, I can just pull up the address in Apple Maps, then there's a little link I can select on the head unit to jump into BMW Nav and get all the proper features via their system.

5pctoff

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Currently this is one of the big drawbacks with Carplay. They mentioned that integration as a feature back when, but I don't know of any commercially available cars that actually implement it. My 2018 435i has wireless Carplay, but the GPS directions don't show up in the heads-up display when using Carplay. Thankfully, I can just pull up the address in Apple Maps, then there's a little link I can select on the head unit to jump into BMW Nav and get all the proper features via their system.

Wow, this is cool! Can you post a screenshot of the CarPlay interface where you can see this link? I wish my car could do this.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Wow, this is cool! Can you post a screenshot of the CarPlay interface where you can see this link? I wish my car could do this.
Your unit doesn't have some type of Home button to go back to the original interface. I can hit my Home button and it goes back and CarPlay will continue running CarPlay (like Music or Navigation) in the 'background' while using the original interface Apps. For instance I can have both Navigations running at the same time.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Your unit doesn't have some type of Home button to go back to the original interface. I can hit my Home button and it goes back and CarPlay will continue running CarPlay (like Music or Navigation) in the 'background' while using the original interface Apps. For instance I can have both Navigations running at the same time.

That's not what he's talking about; there's actually a little clickable link in the Carplay Maps interface where I can send whatever address I'm on to the BMW nav system rather than go there via Apple Maps in CarPlay. I'll try to post a screenshot.

Reactions: 5pctoff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.