Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I find that generally my S3 has a slightly better battery life than my 4S had. I normally charge my phone overnight while I sleep, the battery indicator before I plugged it in, indicated that I have around 20% or more left each evening after a full days use.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Is this thread a joke!? Some sorta Samsung paid personal spot!?

Search SG3 battery and see how many complaints pop up.

People suggesting you turn off GPS, WIFI, Dark Backgrounds...

This SG3 battery is a ***** joke, it IS NOT better than the iPhone 4S.

If going Droid, I HIGHLY recommend you get the HTC One X.

Search iphone 4S battery and see how many complaints pop up. Batteries can go bad, manufacturing can screw them up, people complain because they think their battery should last forever all the while they are running 50 tasks and screen brightness at 100%, etc..

That said, the S3 battery is significantly better than the iphones. There are many reasons from the Pentile screen over ips, better radios in the S3, better and smaller processors in the S3, software optimization, much larger battery over the iphone, etc... Newer tech usually always wins.

But even with that, it is all up to the user, regardless of phone, to use their device efficiently for longer battery life. BTW, the person that has a smartphone lasting 2 days means they aren't using it. Sure, it can be done with an S3, but it will have very minimal use.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Search SG3 battery and see how many complaints pop up.

People suggesting you turn off GPS, WIFI, Dark Backgrounds...

This SG3 battery is a ***** joke, it IS NOT better than the iPhone 4S.

If going Droid, I HIGHLY recommend you get the HTC One X.

The battery on the S3 is incredible, but you do have to tweak the phone to get it that way. That's the nature of Android.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I just installed a custom rom & kernel and it's improved my battery life greatly! I'd say now it's better than my iPhone 4S was and I just stick to LTE. Last I showed was 10 hours off the charger and had 41% left. Although yesterday I was pretty busy at work and didn't have a whole lot of time to mess with my phone, but it was standard usage. Text here and there, groupme and listening to music.

It's been hard to judge before though since I've been using the phone more than normal since it's been kind of new to me for the past week.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
So much longer?

I'd say its only somewhat longer. Maybe 15-20% more battery life.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
The battery on the S3 is incredible, but you do have to tweak the phone to get it that way. That's the nature of Android.

Perhaps it's just me that thinks this, but the iPhone is great for that specific reason. There is no tweaking needed to ensure long use. No killing off the wifi when not on a network. No turning off Bluetooth or gps when not using them. You just use it less and the battery lasts longer. Simple.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Perhaps it's just me that thinks this, but the iPhone is great for that specific reason. There is no tweaking needed to ensure long use. No killing off the wifi when not on a network. No turning off Bluetooth or gps when not using them. You just use it less and the battery lasts longer. Simple.

You're not alone in thinking that and it's a valid opinion.

I am a bit of a geek and I don't mind, in fact I actually enjoy, tweaking things, so it's not a problem for me.

There's an app called "Tasker" on Android that you can use to completely automate your phone. For example, I use it to disable WiFi and enable silent mode in work hours. I use it to automatically disable the pattern lock on my phone and start Spotify when I connect to my car's bluetooth. I use it to start Spotify when I plug my headphones in or connect to my bluetooth speaker at home.

It supports so many events; for example, you can have it perform a task when you get to within 30 metres of your home address. You can have it perform a task when you shake the phone. There's literally hundreds of events.

A little bit of work with Android and you can have it running exactly how you want it to, completely automatically.

And no, battery life isn't too bad with it. :p

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Until your settings get corrupted and you have to restore as new to get your battery life back in order.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Oh my, someone's awfully sensitive.

If we were praising Apple there'd be no problem.

I have the iPhone 4S & Galaxy S III, both excellent phones. Both see heavy use. The SGS III gets the best battery life. It's just a fact. In no way does that impact my enjoyment of my iP4S.

Relax, they're just phones :)

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008

Wait for a bigger screen and LTE then talk to us. The company that told us we're holding it wrong is gonna tell you to shut off your LTE on your LTE iPhone (if it is LTE) if you want longer battery life, wait.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
You're not alone in thinking that and it's a valid opinion.

I am a bit of a geek and I don't mind, in fact I actually enjoy, tweaking things, so it's not a problem for me.

There's an app called "Tasker" on Android that you can use to completely automate your phone. For example, I use it to disable WiFi and enable silent mode in work hours. I use it to automatically disable the pattern lock on my phone and start Spotify when I connect to my car's bluetooth. I use it to start Spotify when I plug my headphones in or connect to my bluetooth speaker at home.

It supports so many events; for example, you can have it perform a task when you get to within 30 metres of your home address. You can have it perform a task when you shake the phone. There's literally hundreds of events.

A little bit of work with Android and you can have it running exactly how you want it to, completely automatically.

And no, battery life isn't too bad with it. :p

That does seem to be the strong point with Android, and it is understandable. I'm not too much into customization myself, as I just want a smartphone that works without tinkering straight out of the box. If I was like you, then I would definitely consider that route. Thank you for being polite by the way.

Wait for a bigger screen and LTE then talk to us. The company that told us we're holding it wrong is gonna tell you to shut off your LTE if you want longer battery life, wait.

I'm pretty sure it will contain a bigger battery to compensate for the extra use. The new iPad did after all. And the comment by him was a bit overboard, I'm not arguing that. It won't come to that again I'm sure. Considering he who said it has past on.

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
man this is going to be a tough decision, because id rather get an iphone, but looking at the numbers now i was just comparing the mAh. (which i realize isnt the whole picture) it just seems bizarre how little the battery size has changed in the iphone compared to a 2012 droid.

iphone 4 - 1420
iphone 4s- 1432
next gen (alleged) - 1440

compared to what has been stated here for the galaxy s3- 2100

apples battery mAh might as well be the same for the past 2-3 years, so as its been said already, i guess its going to come down to the OS and some of the hardware becoming much more efficient if the battery is going to get any better than the 4S.

I dont need two full days of charge to like a phone, but i watch my gf's iphone 4S die on her literally every evening if she didnt get a chance to charge it. And that could be a deal breaker for me.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
That does seem to be the strong point with Android, and it is understandable. I'm not too much into customization myself, as I just want a smartphone that works without tinkering straight out of the box. If I was like you, then I would definitely consider that route. Thank you for being polite by the way.

I'm pretty sure it will contain a bigger battery to compensate for the extra use. The new iPad did after all. And the comment by him was a bit overboard, I'm not arguing that. It won't come to that again I'm sure. Considering he who said it has past on.

Don't we already know the new phone got a bump of 10mAH compared to the 4s. That's whats shocking. People were stroking out with the drop in battery life from the 4 to the 4s. Now add a larger screen and LTE. I expect to read about people going harry carry.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I have great battery life on my iPhone 4S, and it's far better than the Android phones I've ever used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.