Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XeroAllusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
I want to jump into the beta for iOS 12, but before I do, how does its performance compare to iOS 10? My iPhone 6S is still on iOS 10 and I haven't upgraded because I know iOS 11 would slow it down. Any thoughts?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I really want to know this too.

I have an iPod Touch 6th generation still on iOS 10. Is iOS 12 peformaning better on A8 devices than iOS 10? Tempted to install iOS 12 beta, but doing so will force me to lose my 32-bit apps forever. Before I make that sacrifice I want to see if there are any real benefits.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Thought I'd chime in here. I couldn't help myself and installed the most recent public beta on my iPod Touch 6th generation (A8 Chip).

It feels smoother now. In terms of raw loading and what not I'll spend some more time with it. But after a few hours little things like opening Settings menus, going from lock to home screens, or closing applications seems more fluid. This device was never on iOS 11 except when I restored it and immediately upgraded to iOS 12. So this is an iOS 10 to iOS 12 comparison.

jimmyah

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
South Island, New Zealand
Thought I'd chime in here. I couldn't help myself and installed the most recent public beta on my iPod Touch 6th generation (A8 Chip).

It feels smoother now. In terms of raw loading and what not I'll spend some more time with it. But after a few hours little things like opening Settings menus, going from lock to home screens, or closing applications seems more fluid. This device was never on iOS 11 except when I restored it and immediately upgraded to iOS 12. So this is an iOS 10 to iOS 12 comparison.
I would agree with this, it's not like iOS12 is faster per say but it gets rid of the stupid stuttering, slowdowns and freezes from iOS 11.

Reactions: nordique

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I too, but on iOS 9, iPhone 6s and 9.7 iPad Pro.
Anyway, glad to see iOS 12 is an effective improvement.

Heh

Would’ve stayed put but random resprings on iOS 9 on 9.7 pro (infrequent but happened) and lack of raise to wake on phone urged me to take a gamble going to 10.2. Worked out alright!

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I want to jump into the beta for iOS 12, but before I do, how does its performance compare to iOS 10? My iPhone 6S is still on iOS 10 and I haven't upgraded because I know iOS 11 would slow it down. Any thoughts?
You still have iOS 10? Wise decision. You will regret if you update to iOS 12.

Reactions: max2

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Apple tricked you? Blaming Apple for you pressing the wrong buttons.:confused:
It was that dreaded home button lag.

In any case, iOS 12 is butter smooth for me on both my iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Air 2. My iPad Air 2 had some noticeable hitches with iOS 11 but now runs better than ever.

Reactions: I7guy

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Heh

Would’ve stayed put but random resprings on iOS 9 on 9.7 pro (infrequent but happened) and lack of raise to wake on phone urged me to take a gamble going to 10.2. Worked out alright!
Indeed. I had a few (few meaning... 5 in two years or so).
Does not bother me, because they were so infrequent, but I did notice them.
I did read here that iOS 10 was flawless on the 9.7 Pro, but I wasn't gambling anytime soon. Not after all the issues I had with iOS updates.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Apple tricked you? Blaming Apple for you pressing the wrong buttons.

Yes Apple tricked me. Nowhere in the release notes is it mentioned whether performance or battery life will be of the same standard as iOS 10

iOS 11 permanently halved my 7 Plus battery life and the home button response speed.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes Apple tricked me. Nowhere in the release notes is it mentioned whether performance or battery life will be of the same standard as iOS 10

iOS 11 permanently halved my 7 Plus battery life and the home button response speed.
That's how they tricked you? That's the standard? A youtube video test held to the highest of esteem?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's how they tricked you? That's the standard? A youtube video test held to the highest of esteem?
My phone behaves exactly like the YouTube video. There should be a disclaimer in the fine print that the device is not expected to perform to the standard it originally was in so people like me can hold off upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.