Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I am thinking about upgrading my "new ipad" (ipad 3) to ios 7 but I don't want to do it if its going to impact performance. Can anyone tell me what their experience is? ThNks.

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I suspect you're going to get a mix of responses but from my experience on my iPad 3 its fine.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
AppStore is improved.

Games and apps run fine.

Dock row of icons ugliness is amplified.
Multitasking is laggy and jerky.

JCPH

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
I've been running iOS 7 on my iPad 3 since the day it was released and haven't had any issues with the iOS or any of my apps. The only exception is that it seems to take an abnormally long time to change the wallpaper (but it's never crashed). The battery life is definitely no worse—might even be slightly improved. Overall, very happy with it.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I installed iOS7 on wife's iPad 3 for her. Running without a single issue.

I recommend restore using iTunes and set up as new, do not restore to backup - use tabs in iTunes to restore content.

Doing this will give a clean beginning and avoid all the issues other iPad owners are complaining about.

Septillion

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
China
I am thinking about upgrading my "new ipad" (ipad 3) to ios 7 but I don't want to do it if its going to impact performance. Can anyone tell me what their experience is? ThNks.
see this. Translucency is gone.
IMG_0003.jpg

cappahdap

macrumors newbie
Once in a while I experice a slight lag when typing. Mostly in the Facebook app. Other than that, I think iOS7 works really well on iPad 3. The lockscreen looks really awesome when displaying messages etc :)

Byeen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I'd say it's fine in general. Battery is good, apps launch are ok...
The only problem I'm experiencing is laggy Multitasking and laggy multitouch gestures, e.g. 5 fingers swipe to close app, this is pretty laggy...

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I put the GM on, set it up as new, I feel as if iOS6 was faster, especially with the home screen animations. Load times seem the same for apps, safari and mail seem better.

Typing stutters a lot for me now and it's kind of annoying.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I tried ios 7.0 on my ipad 3 while ios 6 was still being signed by apple and 7 felt a bit slow but not laggy, the only thing that lagged was the multitasking and rotating the ipad and with all those fancy graphics disabled. Than I switched back to 6.1.3 and it felt like warp speed, for example settings app was opening almost instantaneously also I tried few apps with RAM info and it had only 220 mb of ram while on ios 6 it was having almost 700 mb after a restart.

Buzman

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
I must be doing something wrong

I upgraded to iOS7 and my iPad's Safari has slowed to a crawl. Much worse on WiFi than on ATT 4G. New web sites time out, or take more than 30 seconds to load. My wife's iPad right next to it running iOS6 clicking right along. My iOS 7 experience has been a disaster.

gomoq13

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
Works fine just like in iOS 6 for mine. However, translucency is pretty much near non existent if you were hoping for that.

stevod

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
London
Overall I'd say great - no problems.

Very slight lag here and there, but it really is very slight and it doesn't detract.

S

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Sluggish. Leggy. And ios 7 on iPad in general feels unfinished and rushed.

I have similar results on my iPad4. It's useable but I don't dare put it on my iPad3. Responsiveness is paramount to me, and I'm not seeing that on my iPad4 either.

The iPhone 4S runs great with a few tweaks, but I use my iPad3 too much to do this disservice to it. I wish they would just fix it, or lock out the iPad3 from being updated to iOS7 until they do.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I updated my iPad3 today to iOS7.02.

The animations sometimes are slow. Same goes for the keyboard.

All apps I tried run OK, no crashes.
The camera app is much more responsive than under iOS6.

All in all the iPad3 remains very usable and I think Apple will iron out some of the lags.

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
Keep it on 6.1.3 as long as possible!

I made the switch to iOS7, not knowing there would be no way to go back if i would not like it.
Now i am stuck with an OS that feels like beta at best. My retina iPad used to feel like a genuine premium Aplle product i paid good money for. After living with iOS7 for a few weeks now It makes my iPad feel an immature product with lags, hiccups etc.
i am very sorry i have updated, and would go back to a pre-iOS7 version if i could. I'm starting to dislike Apple a little.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Keyboard sucks
Spotlight sucks
Multitasking sucks
Safari sucks
Notification Center sucks
Changing wallpapers sucks

... iPad 5 where are u?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006

Seems like it runs the same on my iPad 2. Both have the same amount of RAM and same CPUs. Yours has 2x the GPUs but 4x the screen resolution, sooooo that should be the only difference. Seems like there's heavier use of the GPU, which might impact performance more on the 3 than the 2? But I wouldn't worry too much, at least not about it running on the 3 per se.

You need it anyway if you use it online, since it's the only way to get security updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.