Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
any noticeable lag/slowness with updating to iOS 9 on a first generation iPad air? Want to know what others have noticed that have used it.

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Yikes. So I may want to not update past 8.4 then.

I would not recommend updating, but it's still up to you. I want to downgrade, actually. I prefer performance over new features which are not that apparent in this upgrade anyway.

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Performance wise iOS devices should not be updated past iOS version they shipped with. So, iOS 7.1.2 is max for iPad Air.

robkat

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Scotland
Performance wise iOS devices should not be updated past iOS version they shipped with. So, iOS 7.1.2 is max for iPad Air.
Do not agree with this. i have updated my iPad Air every time new software is available and have not suffered any loss of performance or usability.

Reactions: Yun0

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Do not agree with this. i have updated my iPad Air every time new software is available and have not suffered any loss of performance or usability.
Good for you. That would make it the first iOS device that will not eventually start to crawl in the long run.

Reactions: shadyman

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Slightly worse compared to iOS 8.4.1.
Apple probably hasn't enabled all those metal improvements yet :rolleyes:

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
I'm trying to think what new features are actually available for the original iPad Air.
The main feature I'm really enjoying on my iPad Air is pop out (picture in picture) video. It's great browsing safari with my tv show playing in the corner :)

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I'm trying to think what new features are actually available for the original iPad Air.

You cannot "Multitask", but the "slide an app from the side" is available.

On screen video "pop up" too (like mentioned)

There is also "two finger on keyboard become a track pad", that work very well.

Also shortcuts improvement when using a keyboard (and they make a huge difference if you use a keyboard)

The improvement to Notes app.

---

I have used iOS Public Beta on my iPad Air all summer long, I have absolutely no problem at all except from some bugs that got fixed in updates. Performance wise, I see absolutely no difference in usage. It's a no brainer, upgrade.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
As far as I can tell, everything except Split View is available. Performance wise, you've got nothing to worry about. Remember to make a backup, and if you don't like iOS 9, there will be a short period of time where you will be able to downgrade to 8.4.1.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007

No, just no.

My iPhone 5S is perfectly fine with iOS 8, and iOS 9 PB so far. Same for my iPad Air.

Even my iPad 4th gen was fine with iOS 8 (and launched with iOS 6)

That's just not true.

---

To the OP : upgrade.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
No, just no.

My iPhone 5S is perfectly fine with iOS 8, and iOS 9 PB so far. Same for my iPad Air.

Even my iPad 4th gen was fine with iOS 8 (and launched with iOS 6)

That's just not true.

---

To the OP : upgrade.

Purely from performance point of view:

My iPad 4 for sure was more fluid with iOS 6 than iOS 8.

I have used iOS since it was called iPhone OS 3 and have seen this trend many times.

But to be fair, iOS 9.1 beta is ok on my iPad Air and improvement over 9.0. Is faster than 7.1.2? No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.