Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is final release iOS 12 doing for you?

• It’s faster, no bugs, has improvements, I love it

Votes: 155 77.5%
  • It's slower, has bugs, not enough improvements, I hate it

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • It’s the same for me, indifferent to the improvements, neither love or hate it

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • I own an Android but came here anyway

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Now that it’s Sept 17th in parts of the world and even after September 17th......

Wondering, those who have downloaded iOS 12 final release, how is it doing for you? And what phone do you have?

Let us know what you think in regards to performance, bugs you may have encountered or things that have been improved or you noticed. :)

Please do not reply here if you don’t own an iPhone and have not downloaded the final release of iOS 12 and can honestly contribute to the thread. :apple:

Last edited:

Oulton

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018
So much better than the last iOS 11 release. That managed to cripple my home WiFi connection and was dog slow on my iPhone 6. With iOS 12 it’s like I’ve got a new phone, and I’ll be happy to keep it a while longer now.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
It’s very good and has been since beta 1.

On my iPad 12.9 there wasn’t mjch of a difference at first but after a day (following system checks qnd etc.) it was a lot faster as well.

Oulton

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018
How did it manage to cripple your WiFi?
When running 11.4.1 I could connect to my home WiFi for a short while, <10 minutes typically, before the connection speed slowed to zero. It indicated full signal still, but the only way to make it work was to switch WiFi off and on again. I tried all the recommended remedies but thankfully 12 seems to have fixed this. I have a work iPhone with 11.4.1 which was not affected and my personal phone was ok on other WiFi networks so it was really frustrating.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Faster, but wiped the last week of Activity Achivements for me - which is unfortunate as I managed 4 of them, and it was the closing all 3 rings all week and the new move record. Worked hard for that.

Fast, but has install bugs.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
The color saturation was definitely an eye opener. Darker hues in text messages and a brighter or washed out wallpaper had me try to readjust my eyes.

Other than that seems pretty viscous. Hot butter.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I’ve never experienced such fluidity in the GUI on my 10.5” pro, finally something significantly better than what came before...

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I just updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 12, which may not seem like a big deal but for the fact that it was previously on iOS 8.4.1. It feels like a brand new device, I didn’t realize just how many features were introduced since iOS 8.4.1. And the performance doesn’t seem bad even coming from 8.4.1.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Smoother and snappier on my X it seems, although I’ll give it time to do its new OS thing and index everything etc before giving a final verdict, but so far so good

aengelbrecht

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Probably need to use it for a few days to get a better idea, but feels snappier on my iPad Air just after install. Updating apps now.

Definitely a lot less stuttering than with 11.4.1.

Also like that they put the Day & Date in the top bar by the time on the iPad as mentioned above. Good use of the dead space.

Typically will get a better sense in a week of how well it performs. Waiting a bit before updating my iPhone X, as it is my primary device.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My iPhone 7 Plus feels like a new machine. iOS 12’s performance tweaks are very impressive.

I’m so pleased with this that I’ve made the decision not to get a new phone. I will keep this phone for at least another year. Even in a year I don’t think performance will be an issue, esp. after this iOS 12 boost. I’d just update for a change of pace with a new gadget.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
My iPhone 7 Plus feels like a new machine. iOS 12’s performance tweaks are very impressive.

I’m so pleased with this that I’ve made the decision not to get a new phone. I will keep this phone for at least another year. Even in a year I don’t think performance will be an issue, esp. after this iOS 12 boost. I’d just update for a change of pace with a new gadget.
No more XR? The 7 Plus is still a good phone though, I've seen better performance improvements on it than on X but maybe that was due to iOS 11 crippling it.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
I am genuinely impressed with what Apple has delivered with ios12.

Would probably cost them in new sales but shows their confidence in hardware design

Reactions: fivenotrump
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.