Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I'm not familiar with the smart watch market. How is the Apple Watch different or better than the other smart watches on the market?

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
I think that the most important differences are:

• Deeply integrated with iPhone
  • New concept UI and not only a scaled down smartphone interface
  • Apple Pay

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The Digital Crown is supposed to be the killer UI feature that cracked the code of how to make smart watches accessible to the masses. I'll have to try it out in person before I can accurately judge if that's correct though. I'm guessing it is.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Having looked at gear S watch again I'm not sure that the Apple watch is better. Apple just did a better job of selling it at their Keynote.

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
It has massive potential. For one, they didn't waste space inside the device on things that the iPhone already has. This leaves space for other things like haptic feedback. It also works seamlessly with the iPhone/iPad. So you're reading an email on your Apple Watch, but you unlock your phone and the email is there ready to be replied to.

Second, I think the fact that Apple figured out a wearable device should take advantage of the contact it has with skin is massive. This will have huge implications in the health sector. The fact that it monitors you and sets goals for you is a big plus in my book.

Third, an Apple Watch App Store! The sky is the limit here. The iPhone was mostly a cell phone before the App Store. The Apple Watch is already more than a watch, but it will only get better from here. Developers are creative.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It has massive potential. For one, they didn't waste space inside the device on things that the iPhone already has. This leaves space for other things like haptic feedback. It also works seamlessly with the iPhone/iPad. So you're reading an email on your Apple Watch, but you unlock your phone and the email is there ready to be replied to.

Second, I think the fact that Apple figured out a wearable device should take advantage of the contact it has with skin is massive. This will have huge implications in the health sector. The fact that it monitors you and sets goals for you is a big plus in my book.

Third, an Apple Watch App Store! The sky is the limit here. The iPhone was mostly a cell phone before the App Store. The Apple Watch is already more than a watch, but it will only get better from here. Developers are creative.

Other smartwatches do this.

Last edited:

Andy-Howell

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Integration across the whole of the Apple range is the big win and increasingly important I think.

Apple Pay is a major plus and I suspect might actually be the most significant announcement at the keynote.

But, that OS looks fascinating and it strikes me that we could be seeing that coming to other devises at some point in the not too distant future. It will be interesting to see how it works!

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Other smartwatches do this.

I've always said Apple wasn't the first to do it, but the first to execute it right. The idea was conceived a long time ago, other makers just rushed to market. Apple's offering will holistic. We already know the people they've hired and the health API's and partnerships point to a much deeper fitness experience. I suspect it does more than merely monitor our pulse.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I think the most important feature of Apple Watch is that it runs a variant of iOS called Watch OS, so existing iOS developers can not only update their apps to be better integrated with the Apple Watch, but also easily develop new on-screen apps for it, just like the few Apple has demoed on stage.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Android Wear:

- Cant customize clock faces or anything really on the device itself.
- Has no Home screen.
- Has almost no standalone apps.
- Has only card interfaces so can't see more then one thing.
- Mostly notifies you of notifications and opens it on your phone only.

Apple Watch:

- Has much more futuristic watch faces. Im loving the Astronomy clock!
- Actually has a home screen with already a load of apps, could have hundreds of apps soon.
- Nice fluid UI when scrolling around and zooming in with its digital crown.
- Has a nice standalone message, phone, and mail app that you can reply, delete, without touching your phone.
- Has new ways of communicating where you can draw, tap, send heartbeat, etc.
- Has a walkie talkie feature.
- Better more accurate fitness tracker.
- Has a sensitive touch screen that senses pressure touches. Hard press for second click, soft press for one click.
- And the potential to grow to the masses enabling developer interest that takes advantage of the watch a lot more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.