Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ger19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
What should I expect for fan noise on an iMac? My current machine is a fanless Win machine because I really dislike fan noise. I want a Mac primarily to integrate with my iphone and ipad. I understand that the fan will run under load. My typical load will be very light - internet surfing, email and a small spreadsheet I use to track my finances. Is there any chance that the fan will rarely run? When it runs, how loud is it (understanding this is subjective).

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I think I heard the fans on my M1 iMac once in ~2.5 years. The iMac is about as silent as a computer gets without eliminating the fan all together.

Reactions: ger19 and Chuckeee

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Do you guys know if the fan is always running? Even when Idle and no load? Or does it completely stop when idle and no load?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
there is software for fans called MACFANS that works from Mojave to Sonoma,
oh the Mac mini m1 does not make fan noise and stays under 100Fº

Last edited:

ger19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Just got my iMac. Very light duty user. I've not heard the fans. If they're coming on, I can't tell. I do feel just a touch of a breeze coming out of the bottom so maybe they're on very slow given my use. It's so light though that it could just be convection. Sorry I don't have a better answer. I can say that I'm very happy with the lack of fan noise so far.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
No noise on my M3, even when AAA game playing. I noticed after closing a game and back to the main screen the temps are in the high 60's C. Watching ESPN now and a few tabs open in Safari it is mid 40's C, 2500 to 2800 fan rpm.

when I used to game play on my 2018 mm with eGPU, it sounded like a small vacuum cleaner running on the MM and eGPU lol

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
No noise on my M3, even when AAA game playing. I noticed after closing a game and back to the main screen the temps are in the high 60's C. Watching ESPN now and a few tabs open in Safari it is mid 40's C, 2500 to 2800 fan rpm.

when I used to game play on my 2018 mm with eGPU, it sounded like a small vacuum cleaner running on the MM and eGPU lol
Oh cool. What app do you use to lead the fan speed? I'm curious.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I use istats menu from the app store to show the temps/rpm/mem/ ssd space/ CPU/GPU/ network/, I have had it for several years. They finally upgraded to 6.73 version for the M3.

I never have used an app to control the fan speed. I let the OS take care of that for me.

Reactions: kagharaht

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I use istats menu from the app store to show the temps/rpm/mem/ ssd space/ CPU/GPU/ network/, I have had it for several years. They finally upgraded to 6.73 version for the M3.

I never have used an app to control the fan speed. I let the OS take care of that for me.
Oh that one. Yeah that's way more stuff than I would ever need LOL. I was just curious if the fan turns off or goes to super slow speed when idle and not doing anything on the iMac.

ger19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
it has a minimum fan speed but it's always on from what I can tell. If you search enough you can find out the details.
I agree. Seems to always be a slight bit of airflow coming out of the bottom of the unit.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I can’t feel a thing. I have feathered pillows and couches so that feather stuff comes out. I put it underneath and no movement. It must spin incredibly low which is great since i can’t hear a thing unless i push the cpu. Ideal it’s super quiet and barely any airflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.