Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
HP ranks about the same as Dell when it comes to quality control, but the design language those have going on are pretty cool. I like what HP is doing.

That being said - the cooling solution you are looking for isn’t there. If you really want sufficient cooling for the H-class processors or nvidia GPUs, you need to go either a thick gaming or workstation class device my friend. This is a man who purchased a device knowing, and willing to put up with a little bit of throttling for the form factor.

For silent operation like you so desire, there isn’t one with H-class.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Non-centered trackpads disgust me.
I'm not liking them but if you consider that the trackpad is centered on the alpha keys then it makes sense since. I'm not defending the off centered-ness but technically it is centered, you just need to consider what its centered against ;)
[doublepost=1558010575][/doublepost]
How is the thermal/cooling solution of their Spectre compared with the Thinkpads/Yoga series?
From the page you linked:
Spectre x360, which comes with an Intel Core i7-8750H processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q GPU with 4GB of VRAM, 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.

From HP's page, we see the laptop is 19.3 MM thin, that's only .6 millimeters thicker then the Thinkpad X1E (18.7mm). Do you really think that this laptop will be quieter or without fans when its running the same exact hardware in virtually the same exact form factor.

You seem to ignore everyone's input and advice and go off on your own, so I'm sure why you keep asking the same questions over and over and I'm sure this post won't garner much traction and you'll probably go and buy the laptop or a similarly configured one and then complain about the noise.

As others stated so many times, laptops are a balance of compromises, do you want performance in a fairly thin enclosure, well then you're going to deal with fan noise. It doesn't matter if its from HP, Lenovo, Asus, or Razer. If you want a dead silent laptop, then you need to search out a passively cooled model.

Again, beating the dead horse add infinium, you have unrealistic goals and requirements. You cannot have a dead silent laptop running high end performance CPU and GPUs. You must choose, performance or passively cooled. You cannot have both.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I don't know anything about Lenovo fulfillment, admittedly, but I'm a bit surprised OP hasn't been blacklisted a/c too many returns.

Reactions: Never mind

Queen6

macrumors G4
Different provider, same CPU, same story, outcome is obvious to all but seemingly one...

The H series hex core CPU's are incredibly powerful solutions for notebooks, equally as most are aware the performance comes at a cost, that being requiring significant power & cooling. Until Intel shrinks the die again nothing much is going to change. 9th Gen hex core CPU's are a little more power efficient, equally equating this to silent operation is an error.

Q-6

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Am I the only one that can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 15" Display? 4K Displays tend to be higher quality and have better color, but I have 20/15 vision and can't tell the difference in terms of clarity.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Am I the only one that can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 15" Display? 4K Displays tend to be higher quality and have better color, but I have 20/15 vision and can't tell the difference in terms of clarity.

Honestly I think it's overkill for the average user and the likes of 1440p being more than adequate for those not in the graphics/photography industries. To me the smaller the device the less requirement for ultra high resolution as all it tends to do is eat into the limited battery life far faster.

Right now I mostly use a 17.3"with 1080p and a 12"with 1440p which I'm fine with as the 2in1 is likely to be held/viewed a lot closer than the 17.3

Each to their own...

Q-6

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
There is a moment when too much resolution is just ... too much!
My main complain related to my surface studio 2 is its monster resolution.
I remember that when I fired up LR for the first time I tried to zoom in on my old d4 files and ... nothing happened. The ordinary preview was almost at 100%

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
I’m a pixel peeper so to me there’s a huge difference between a 1080P panel and 4K. The reviews are amazingly good for the 13” Spectre x360 and still great for the 15”.

I’m obsessed with OLED and this Display is manufactured by Samsung Display which is my favorite supplier so it should be amazing! Perfect for some content creation and media consumption. It has plenty of power to get some real work done and enough battery life to get through a day it seems.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Am I the only one that can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 15" Display?
Screen real estate. I found when I owned the razer that the 1080p was a tad confining and the 4k offered more flexibility by using different resolutions and/or zoom factors.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I can’t speak for all of them but a non centered trackpad is extremely common on windows laptops that are 15 inches and up. I agree it’s super annoying but I always thought it was a side effect of a windows 15 inch form factor.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Just played with the 4K OLED option at Best Buy. Great brightness, but holy cow Laptop Mag wasn’t kidding with the 258% of sRGB Gamut haha. Pretty disappointed to see this totally uncalibrated from the factory as the colors are so vibrant and unrealistic it makes me sick. There are a lot of little things that don’t make it to reviews about what Apple does with OLED. Black crush, banding, color accuracy and automatic color management. The OLED experience on the iPhone spoils you!

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have tried x1e 4k, x1 yoga gen 3, yoga 730 15" 4k and yoga c930. Yoga 730 has high pitch fan noise and infamous wifi issue. So far I am more or less happy with the c930 4k. Shall I settle with it without trying other laptops with nvidia gpu from other brands? It seems that for laptops with nvidia gpu and less than 2kg, it is expected to have noisy fans even at cpu load just a few percent. The C930 also has fan noise sometimes when AC adapter is plugged in and low cpu load. However, the noise is not high pitch or jet engine like.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
The new Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED looks amazing. X-Rite color calibrated display with a i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 16GB of ram, 512 GB Nvme SSD for $1899. It looks like a beast and weighs 4.4 pounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.