Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Hello

I came here to ask about the forgotten Macbook Air.
When this thing came out everyone's jaw dropped to the ground, it is incredibly thin.

Any how , fast forward now, I am wondering what happened to it? It is not mentioned much any more and I hear nothing of it. Is it dying? Will it meet the fate of the cube?

Honestly, I think it is much better to pay less for something that has more features and durability like the macbook and all you are giving up is a little bit weight and thickness

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Many seem to use it (according to this forum), but I haven't seen one in the wild yet.
At least it is not forgotten like the Mac Mini is, as Apple recently upgraded the MBA and lowered its price.

kenlee620425

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
MacBook Air

I have been using the MacBook Air since it launched 1.5 years ago, the machine has never let me down except one -- that the 60GB harddisk is a bit too small. My experience using the MBA is fantastic. The new version has a faster CPU and a larger harddisk. There is no argument that this is not a machine for someone who needs to handle a lot of mega files like movie-editing.

Ken

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Honestly, I think it is much better to pay less for something that has more features and durability like the macbook and all you are giving up is a little bit weight and thickness

If you've ever switched from a MacBook to the Air, you would realise just how much difference there is and how noticeable it is when you're carrying it around most of the time. And if, like me, the specs of an Air (a Rev A HDD version no less) suit your needs, then it's not a difficult choice to make if you can afford it.

I went from a 2.2GHz / 4GB / 250GB 7200rpm MacBook to the Rev A Air and would not go back for a second. I needed portability with a usable screen size (no 10" or 11", thanks).

I held back for similar reasons thinking it was underpowered and a niche product at best. Once you use one, it really wins you over.

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
I just love my Rev A refurb. I haven't experienced any overheat or other problems. It's light and beautiful. As far as I'm concerned it's perfect in every way.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
What is Rev A?

It is very clear that the macbook Air is for a niche market given the low options and extremely high price, although it is very understandable not much people want that kind of thing.

I also like how apple decided to go in the netbooks market by making it extra slim than the usual route, smaller keyboard, screen, and size which makes the usual netbooks more like a pda. But netbooks are not so expensive.

But what I want to know how is it doing , is it selling, or is it dying? Did it flop? Because Apple brings a lot of great products that are highly successful but every now and then something flops so I am guessing MBA is going that route I hardly see the hype over it any more.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
What is Rev A?

It is very clear that the macbook Air is for a niche market given the low options and extremely high price, although it is very understandable not much people want that kind of thing.

I also like how apple decided to go in the netbooks market by making it extra slim than the usual route, smaller keyboard, screen, and size which makes the usual netbooks more like a pda. But netbooks are not so expensive.

But what I want to know how is it doing , is it selling, or is it dying? Did it flop? Because Apple brings a lot of great products that are highly successful but every now and then something flops so I am guessing MBA is going that route I hardly see the hype over it any more.

I have seen 1 MBA in the wild, and the guy was an IT Pro that traveled doing presentations with a group of medics. He had the Rev B, and he didn't like it. He said that it still had a big footprint, and the fact that he had to carefully pack the drive everytime was a waste. His company bought it though so he didn't care.

I think people that use the air primarily at home or for wifi browsing in the wild enjoy it. It is in fact an excellent big netbook.
The initial release of the MBA didn't reach expectations, and if you check out the store price now, it is about chopped in half, and more affordable to people that think before they buy. It does get normal updates, and with the price drop, it has a lot more life.

The boards here have died down due to the fact that most people that wanted the Air, paid too much for it a while ago, and already have one. There isn't a huge bump in purchasers (that use these forums actively) that bought the much cheaper version, due to the MB being added to the MBP lineup.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
To the OP:

It's not a netbook.

It hasn't flopped.

YOU should buy a laptop with more ports.

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
What is Rev A?

Rev A is the earliest AIR. There have been three revisions with the current revision know as Rev C.

I guess that's safe. It's not for everyone.

it's not a netbook. it's not going into the netbook market.

But what I want to know how is it doing , is it selling, or is it dying? Did it flop?

They quite recently released a new model. Doesn't seem like it's dying or a flop. There is lot's of information and speculation to be found if you dig even just a little bit.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I've bought just about every MacBook for my company, personally I now own a Mac Pro, a 15" MacBook Pro and my MBA.

The MBA is my favorite machine, close enough to netbook size for me, very light, takes little space in a bag PLUS is has an excellent keyboard and good sized (very clear) screen.

I like it because I can get my work done fast and efficiently just lounging around, leaning back in my office chair, the couch, outside wherever it's just fun to use, compared to formally sitting down at my desk or sliding my laptop table with my 15" MBP over to me .... by the time I get off my couch with my Air I realize there's no need to sit at a desk to work ... because I've already breezed through it on my air.

Apple sells about 20,000 MBA's a week, that was what I was told and that was right around the time of the price drop... we have a Business Account with Apple and personal rep and that's the info I was given, true or not true who knows .... if it is 20,000 a week that's respectable volume imo ....

People would realize "if" they tried it for themselves I think that for many tasks a bigger, faster computer, such as a MBP has more power than they need and they'll quickly learn after handing and using an MBA just how much fun it is to use .... one the other side Netbook owners if they tried an MBA would LOVE it ... you loose too much going for a netbook ... small screen, small keyboard, most are thick and quality is fair....

MBA hit's the sweet spot for a lot of people I think, the general consumer is for sure still "wowed" by it, just watch in an Apple Store or Best Buy with all the Apple notebooks on display most people go straight to the MBA just to have a look, even if they're in there buying a desktop people still often go look at the MBA, the Apple Staff will confirm that I'd think. People also have it in their mind, (windows mentality) that they need maximum processor speed, ram etc just to do average tasks so even with the price drop they still overlook the mba ...

The MBA "rocks" :D

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I really like my MacBook Air, it gets significantly more usage than my MacBook Pro. I've had both the Rev A and Rev C and it just keeps getting better. The one thing that would make it perfect for me is if it had a Matte screen like my MacBook Pro. Since I get reflections in the screen and they are quite annoying.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I know the MBA is not a netbook, but I am guessing it was made to compete in the netbook market. I think Apple decided to get in the netbook market with going slim and not give up the screen and keyboard size.
If you are telling me the MBA was created for a market between the laptops and netbooks, Apple must be crazy, how small that market can be?

I am a desktop guy, its big reliable, comes with a screen(imac) faster and more powerful and you get a keyboard and a mouse. But things changed and I do not use the computer like before just internet basically and some games. Now I got a macbook, and I figure out with the fans and battery life and smaller storage and many disadvantages of the laptop I think I figured the best configuration for a computer user.

Apple should make and Imac+MBA bundle! Your imac is powerful enough to handle anything, and the MBA is the perfect machine for mobility . Of course this is good for a real computer user. For the masses who use facebook and email macbook is best choice it combines all options(speed, dvd, ports, mobility) and price advantage to them.

I would love to own an iMac and MBA combo, but I really have no use for it, I no longer: Run top programs(adobe and the like), download torrents, edit video, create websites etc...just internet, so macbook is really fine.

I was asking because I would hate for the MBA to go, it is really cool and thin and didn't want it to flop like the cube did. I want the option of buying an MBA if the need ever comes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.