Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superper28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I am currently using a late 2013 rMBP mid configuration on Sierra. Battery sa been so so (about 5 hours?) but performance has been better, almost as good as when it was new. Just wondering how is the battery and performance in the latest MacOS?

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I am currently using a late 2013 rMBP mid configuration on Sierra. Battery sa been so so (about 5 hours?) but performance has been better, almost as good as when it was new. Just wondering how is the battery and performance in the latest MacOS?

I ran the High Sierra beta with the same model and year as yours, it ran just like Sierra.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Battery life seems to be the same, which is great. The late 2013 rMBP is one of the best valued models they ever released. Still feels like new, and has the same battery life in real usage as the current models (which is sad, but not worth getting into in this thread).

Reactions: zachlegomaniac

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
Battery life seems to be the same, which is great. The late 2013 rMBP is one of the best valued models they ever released. Still feels like new, and has the same battery life in real usage as the current models (which is sad, but not worth getting into in this thread).

Yes, I feel the same. Even now after 4 years, I still don't feel the need to upgrade my late 2013 rMBP, which is bonkers, because I usually always felt the need to upgrade after around 2 years of using a laptot.

Still performs exactly the same like the day I bought it, and battery life seems also still very good!

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Yes, I feel the same. Even now after 4 years, I still don't feel the need to upgrade my late 2013 rMBP, which is bonkers, because I usually always felt the need to upgrade after around 2 years of using a laptot.

Still performs exactly the same like the day I bought it, and battery life seems also still very good!
The only thing that is making me want an upgrade is the the trackpad size. They have made the trackpads on both notebooks and desktops huge now. Doing 4 finger gestures and the absolutely terrible thumb and three finger gesture for Launchpad, have been troubling for me as of late

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008

Same with my mid-2104 rMBP - still feels like a new computer!

Reactions: Isamilis

jgerry

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Late 2013 MBP / 2GB discrete GPU. I had to roll back to Sierra after upgrading. Even with a fresh install, no backup / restore, I had terrible issues with graphics performance. Playing any video in a browser (Safari was bad, Chrome was worse), or using Skype or Bluejeans video conferencing software, caused the machine to lag and stutter like crazy.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Does anyone notice the smoother UI with metal 2? I guess I would have the biggest gains with having the oldest supported computer. But it's been substantial for me.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Late 2013 MBP / 2GB discrete GPU. I had to roll back to Sierra after upgrading. Even with a fresh install, no backup / restore, I had terrible issues with graphics performance. Playing any video in a browser (Safari was bad, Chrome was worse), or using Skype or Bluejeans video conferencing software, caused the machine to lag and stutter like crazy.
I have the same machine. Have you tried High Sierra again since then? Anyone else with the same machine experience anything similar? I am still on El Capitan but I want to update to High Sierra soon.

jgerry

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have the same machine. Have you tried High Sierra again since then? Anyone else with the same machine experience anything similar? I am still on El Capitan but I want to update to High Sierra soon.
I have not tried again, too much wasted time already. Until I have some info that other people have tried it and found it acceptable, I won't be trying again. Really, there's nothing in High Sierra that I absolutely need, so I'll keep using regular Sierra for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: arefbe

Wonder Warthog

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I have not tried again, too much wasted time already. Until I have some info that other people have tried it and found it acceptable, I won't be trying again. Really, there's nothing in High Sierra that I absolutely need, so I'll keep using regular Sierra for the foreseeable future.

My late 2016 MacBook Pro (15", Radeon Pro 460) is considerably lagging in graphics/game performance on High Sierra. Had to downgrade to Sierra.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Fair enough, thanks for the reply. It’s a shame that Apple has dropped the ball on this. I hope they fix it eventually.

Wonder Warthog

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So I read that if you have considerable framerate drops in games you can just do a Get Info on the game in the Finder and in the Info window simply check [ ] Open in Low Resolution

That should fix the lag on Retina Macs. Doesn't work for me, because I have a mixed monitor setup (retina built-in display & 1080p HD external monitor), so I don't get that checkbox on my Get Info Dialog (unless I disconnect my external monitor)…

smike31

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017

Same machine here and planning to rollback to 10.12. Laptop is lagging and stutters, never had that up to now. After a fresh restart thing are okay but after a while stuttering comes back.

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro 15", and the performance is terrible. This is by far the worst update I have since in the last 6 years. I think a lot of performance issues are related to the Nvidia drivers. I'm using the web drivers, and it has resolved the stutter of switching between spaces on an external monitor. It has made it better, but it still sucks. I'm most likely going back to Sierra. Check out these threads for more info.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...macbook-pro-nvidia-gpu-lag-yet.2088300/page-2
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...-13-error-quot-update-required-quot-solved-/1

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I have a late 2013, fully loaded. The 10.13.1 update has been, ahem, less than expected on my part. Spent several hours trying to figure out the lag (and by lag I mean strike a key or click the mouse and 5-10 seconds later there is a response), ultimately ripping out CUDA. The root patch didn't help. FWIW, battery life seems about the same.

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand

With my experience with Apple, this 2013 MBP and upgrades I am staying put with El Capitan until this thing dies. It has been a total lemon for me, seriously, everything has been replaced including the screen 2 times. I'll be getting a new iPad Pro, what ever comes out in 2018 and selling this thing and then I'm done with MBP. Back to an iMac for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.