Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How has your battery life been with iOS 9.3.2?

• Better

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Worse

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • About the same

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So I finally got around to updating my iPhone 6s to iOS 9.3.2 last night (I tend to wait at least a week to make sure there aren't any major bug after getting burned with a couple iOS 8 updates) and after 5 hours off the charger my battery is still reading 100%! Granted it's use has been pretty light so far today and has been limited to checking the weather, a few emails and a couple texts (usage says 40 mins) but that still seems pretty outstanding to me. What has everyone else's battery experience been iOS 9.3.2?

AboveRubies

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
It is awful, shutting down with as much as 70% power left! Also, it's heats up so hot that it actually burned my hands!

AboveRubies

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
Sounds like something's off with that device.
I never had any issues until about two weeks ago. It started shutting down at 45% and when I put it on the charger it boots back up at 45%. Then it started powering off at higher and higher percentage.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
8 hours in now, add a few phone calls, a few more emails and some more texts to previous (usage is now 1 hour, 20 mins) and I'm still at 95%! It has been a light day working from home but on a typical day like today I'm usually in the low 80s by now...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have a pair of iPhone 6 phones. One has stayed on 8.4.1. The other has had every version of 9.x. They're identically configured and both get used every day. I have yet to see any meaningful difference between either phone, which also means that I haven't seen any meaningful differences among the 9.x updates.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
Pretty good so far on my 6s.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    125 KB · Views: 251

Tech.Fan.1908

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2016
So I finally got around to updating my iPhone 6s to iOS 9.3.2 last night (I tend to wait at least a week to make sure there aren't any major bug after getting burned with a couple iOS 8 updates) and after 5 hours off the charger my battery is still reading 100%! Granted it's use has been pretty light so far today and has been limited to checking the weather, a few emails and a couple texts (usage says 40 mins) but that still seems pretty outstanding to me. What has everyone else's battery experience been iOS 9.3.2?

This can't be normal. The fact it has been off the charger for 5 hours and you have 40 minute of usage time and it still reads 100%? This tells me your battery meter is stuck and not updating as battery is being used. I am experiencing the same sometimes and hope the next iOS update can fix things. My recommendation would be to reboot the phone if it still shows 100% after 5 hours off the charger and the battery % should update if it is stuck and show you a true reading. If it doesn't you may wish to try "Reset all settings". All the best.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This can't be normal. The fact it has been off the charger for 5 hours and you have 40 minute of usage time and it still reads 100%? This tells me your battery meter is stuck and not updating as battery is being used. I am experiencing the same sometimes and hope the next iOS update can fix things. My recommendation would be to reboot the phone if it still shows 100% after 5 hours off the charger and the battery % should update if it is stuck and show you a true reading. If it doesn't you may wish to try "Reset all settings". All the best.
It may have been stuck that day. Things seem to have settled back to normal.

Reactions: Tech.Fan.1908

ParryD

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Rock SOLID, the best so far after any iOS upgrade.

I updated my iPhone 6 Plus straight from 8.1 to 9.3.2. Updated through iTunes with restored backup.

Battery life is much more stable & long lasting than what it was on iOS 8.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
It is awful, shutting down with as much as 70% power left! Also, it's heats up so hot that it actually burned my hands!

i'd calibrate that if you can (i.e. leaving it on until it shuts off. and then turn back it on again) or check the health using coconut battery

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've given up on my iPhone 6S. I had to move over to my work provided S6.

According to Apple 2 hours of battery life is normal for my usage....phone calls, email, basic stuff, music, etc..

IMG_0820.jpg

It passes all Apples test so they won't warranty replace it so I have a 750 (minus taxes) paperweight. I have a few emails into various Apple people awaiting a response. Like my past dealings with Apple I've not been impressed with their customer support, sure everyone is friendly but what am I supposed to do? Buy a new phone that should be under warranty but isn't because they say its normal?

All manufacturers should do that. What your brand new car engine is not starting? Thats not warranty.....its not supposed to start....

This ALL started overnight with an iOS update.

Oh well, first world problems I guess.

EDIT: The Apple Genius told me I could buy an Apple battery case and that should help. Really trying my patience...

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
image.jpeg

Pretty good.
[doublepost=1465574980][/doublepost]
I've given up on my iPhone 6S. I had to move over to my work provided S6.

According to Apple 2 hours of battery life is normal for my usage....phone calls, email, basic stuff, music, etc..

View attachment 635130

It passes all Apples test so they won't warranty replace it so I have a 750 (minus taxes) paperweight. I have a few emails into various Apple people awaiting a response. Like my past dealings with Apple I've not been impressed with their customer support, sure everyone is friendly but what am I supposed to do? Buy a new phone that should be under warranty but isn't because they say its normal?

All manufacturers should do that. What your brand new car engine is not starting? Thats not warranty.....its not supposed to start....

This ALL started overnight with an iOS update.

Oh well, first world problems I guess.

EDIT: The Apple Genius told me I could buy an Apple battery case and that should help. Really trying my patience...
Restore as new. See if that helps. If it doesn't, yell at the Geniuses or request a manager. That's just unacceptable.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
View attachment 635136

Pretty good.
[doublepost=1465574980][/doublepost]
Restore as new. See if that helps. If it doesn't, yell at the Geniuses or request a manager. That's just unacceptable.

First thing they had me try. Its been a nightmare, I'm STILL trying to get that all sorted out. Need to reenter all my log ins, wifi, passwords, etc etc, certain emails aren't working right, handoff, airdrop and continuity aren't working right (albeit they were finicky to begin with), some apps won't restore at all (haven't spent the time to try to figure that out yet). Typical restore as new BS....

IMG_0001.PNG

Apple prides themselves on there back up system but as soon as you experience the slightest issue you need to toss it out the window and restore as new. Why even bother having a back up if its so easily corruptible?

I need to take a chill pill....they don't test for those....

Edit....HMMM FmF was pre-installed under extras. Not exactly sure why it gives me the download from cloud symbol instead of open but at least that is working now... lol

Last edited:

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
First thing they had me try. Its been a nightmare, I'm STILL trying to get that all sorted out. Need to reenter all my log ins, wifi, passwords, etc etc, certain emails aren't working right, handoff, airdrop and continuity aren't working right (albeit they were finicky to begin with), some apps won't restore at all (haven't spent the time to try to figure that out yet). Typical restore as new BS....

View attachment 635139

Apple prides themselves on there back up system but as soon as you experience the slightest issue you need to toss it out the window and restore as new. Why even bother having a back up if its so easily corruptible?

I need to take a chill pill....they don't test for those....

Edit....HMMM FmF was pre-installed under extras. Not exactly sure why it gives me the download from cloud symbol instead of open but at least that is working now... lol

Yeah, if it doesn't work then you should certainly request a manager.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As this poll clearly shows, yet again, good battery life is mostly in the person's head.
I somewhat agree. I've had an iPhone since iOS 3 and I've honestly never had a noticeable change in battery life with any iOS update. That said over the years I have had to deal with some battery sucking vampire apps that I have had to deal with by either tweaking settings or in extreme cases deleting the offending apps (I'm looking at you Facebook). I think iOS updates often get blamed for poor battery life when there are other factors at play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.