Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hello,

Yesterday I was thinking about how nice it would be if we could have our DMV ID's in apple wallet. I was just reading how the university of alabama is working with apple to have students ID in apple wallet.

I took a picture of my DMV ID and for over 2 years now I have gone paperless the only thing I carry is my iphone & keys when I go out.

I think it would be nice to have the ID in apple wallet as well.

Reactions: Goner259er

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hello,

Yesterday I was thinking about how nice it would be if we could have our DMV ID's in apple wallet. I was just reading how the university of alabama is working with apple to have students ID in apple wallet.

I took a picture of my DMV ID and for over 2 years now I have gone paperless the only thing I carry is my iphone & keys when I go out.

I think it would be nice to have the ID in apple wallet as well.

You do realize, I hope, that a police officer can now demand to take your unlocked phone into their possession if you're stopped for any violation or checkpoint (at best), and\or cite you for failure to present (at worst).

As cool as it may seem, until the local BMV/DMV uses digital licenses, you are still required to have a physical one. In addition, given the push for newer, more secure REAL ID compliant, licenses, any attempt to fly with this will, heck, it just won't fly...

Last edited:

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
In the state of Alabama, the DMV does issue digital driver licenses if requested. I have mine in my Apple Wallet right now.

But as others have stated, I have no intention of ever handing my unlocked iphone to a police officer (and I have nothing to hide). I have the license in my apple wallet as it’s a handy way to verify ID if asked when in a checkout line.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
You do realize, I hope, that a police officer can now demand to take your unlocked phone into their possession if you're stopped for any violation or checkpoint (at best), and\or cite you for failure to present (at worst).

As cool as it may seem, until the local BMV/DMV uses digital licenses, you are still required to have a physical one. In addition, given the push for newer, more secure REAL ID compliant, licenses, any attempt to fly with this will, heck, it just won't fly...

Last time I checked you do not need to unlock your phone to access wallet.

I would also like to have that as an option, heck add a passport to the list as well.

However, I realize that until US is fully on board with NFC for payments any digital forms of anything will be 2nd hand citizens, so if anything, I would like to see %100 NFC adaptation first and then things like DL, ID, passports etc.

Reactions: nathanalf

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Last time I checked you do not need to unlock your phone to access wallet.

I would also like to have that as an option, heck add a passport to the list as well.

However, I realize that until US is fully on board with NFC for payments any digital forms of anything will be 2nd hand citizens, so if anything, I would like to see %100 NFC adaptation first and then things like DL, ID, passports etc.

You ever notice how, when pulled over for a moving offense, or after an accident, how a huge amount of time the officer takes a driving license back and other documents to their vehicle...?

I for one have zero interest in handing a LEO my cell phone for them to take and control out of my eyesight. Nope, plastic it is...

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
You ever notice how, when pulled over for a moving offense, or after an accident, how a huge amount of time the officer takes a driving license back and other documents to their vehicle...?

I for one have zero interest in handing a LEO my cell phone for them to take and control out of my eyesight. Nope, plastic it is...

Well, that is the current process which I agree, takes time. If digitalization becomes a standard, my guess is that they will have a bar code or QC scanner of some kind and will scan all your digital information without needing to touch your phone. That is the only way this will work as I agree, no one will be happy (myself including) to hand over their cell phones to the cops - the last thing I need a cop dropping my cell phone or accidentally reading or seeing text messages etc.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Well, but if this existed you could leave the plastic one in the car with the registration for cops. The phone could take over all the times you buy alcohol and things of that nature. I agree I'd want to own the plastic, but not having to remember to take it with me every single day would be nice. Like, I just know it's in the car.

Reactions: profets

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
In the state of Alabama, the DMV does issue digital driver licenses if requested. I have mine in my Apple Wallet right now.

But as others have stated, I have no intention of ever handing my unlocked iphone to a police officer (and I have nothing to hide). I have the license in my apple wallet as it’s a handy way to verify ID if asked when in a checkout line.

not to mention that you can open up apple wallet without having to unlock your phone. just use your non touch finger and 'pay with passcode'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.