Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Not sure what you're on about. If I put out an assertion in public and it's challenged, why would I not defend it if I believe it? That's how debate works. This has nothing to do with appeasing anyone or power.
We are already covered this. Without knowing the motive of the other person you would not know if they want a debate in the first place. This is why you are left forever wondering why did they say "something stupid".

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
By saying things like "Then don't reply!" you are telling others what they should have said or not said. You can only control your own actions.

No, I'm simply pointing out how that poster's explanation made no sense. If someone didn't want to engage you, they won't engage you. "You can only control your own actions" is a nice axiom, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point out the folly of other people's actions. It just means we shouldn't lose sleep over them, which I'm certainly not. I'm simply making an observation of human behavior that I see all the time that I think is fascinating.

It's sort of like when a driver is tailgating someone, supposedly in a big hurry, and then when they finally are able to pass them, they get in front of them and go slow or brake check them and just generally waste time playing games with the other driver, which proves their time wasn't their true concern, but rather their ego.

Or like when someone says they've got better things to do than to argue, yet continue to reply over and over after stating they were done, thus proving their true concern was to have the last word, not to do those "better things." etc.

We are already covered this. Without knowing the motive of the other person you would not know if they want a debate in the first place. This is why you are left forever wondering why did they say "something stupid".

I'm not wondering why. I know why. Explained in post 19.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Isn't most of the time the responder isn't even looking at the OP's time stamp of when they posted. JUst responding out of gut reaction. I've found in those instances of posting on an old thread it's a mix of reactions. They either do like what you described or the discussion actually gets picked up again. I'd chalk this up to over thinking this. It's just what it is.

Reactions: KaliYoni

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
It's sort of like when a driver is tailgating someone, supposedly in a big hurry, and then when they finally are able to pass them, they get in front of them and go slow or brake check them and just generally waste time playing games with the other driver, which proves their time wasn't their true concern, but rather their ego.
This is why I suggested that some people simply act like bullies because they somehow "smelled" your lack of confidence or vulnerability and just "went for it".

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
You should always point out that an explanation did not make any sense to you.

There is a reason why one Greek philosopher said that the only thing that I know is that I know nothing.

Ah, so your one of those people who think we have to literally type "in my opinion" after every opinion we state, even though it's obvious it's our opinion because we're the one's stating it? 🤣

I'm sorry, but this is getting a bit silly. I'm not going to go back and forth with you any more in this thread. Nothing personal, but I don't think we're tracking in this discussion, and I'm not sure how to make myself any clearer.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Ah, so your one of those people who think we have to literally type "in my opinion" after every opinion we state, even though it's obvious it's our opinion because we're the one's stating it? 🤣

I'm sorry, but this is getting a bit silly. I'm not going to go back and forth with you any more in this thread. Nothing personal, but I don't think we're tracking in this discussion, and I'm not sure how to make myself any clearer.
What is obvious and what is not is just another game that people like to play. I feel that I am just being a Captain Obvious in every single comment that I have ever made on this forum. I am happy to call it a day.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
Perhaps it is your ego that requires you to hunt down some old grudge?

Lot of assumptions there.
Yeah, I get you think you are the smartest guy in the room, but that is a question, not a statement/assumption. I know it is hard to look in the mirror and ask the tough question of ourselves.

Why does this whole issue bother you so?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
In your example that kind of person is going to be hostile no matter what. It's in the language they use to begin with that should give you that hint. They lack maturity. There's no point in trying to interact with them.

Saying that, three months is not the same as three days and ten years is a long time ago technology wise.

Your example reply is also just as anecdotal as their original comment.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
In your example that kind of person is going to be hostile no matter what. It's in the language they use to begin with that should give you that hint. They lack maturity. There's no point in trying to interact with them.

Saying that, three months is not the same as three days and ten years is a long time ago technology wise.

Your example reply is also just as anecdotal as their original comment.

That was just a made up example for simplicity sake--don't read too much into it. I've had the same response to much less troll-like comments that I've responded to--ones where there would be a much higher expectation of actual rational dialogue. And whether the OP or my reply are anecdotal or not is entirely beside the point. The point is that it's illogical to use the length of time that has passed since one comment as a criticism of response to what one wrote. The only time it would be relevant is if the passage of time has altered their original viewpoint, in which they could easily explain that.

But that's never the case in the interactions I'm talking about--it's simply them copping out of giving a meaningful reply while futilely trying to appear to have a legitimate reason. I decided to post a thread with this observation only because I've seen this exact pattern SO many times throughout the years. It's a cliche, irrational excuse people use to avoid taking responsibility for things they post online.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, such a reply from strangers on the internet should be ignored. It shouldn't have bothered you enough to create a thread. The fact that it did should be the real focus.

1. Sometimes people say stupid things on the internet, because they haven't take the time to engage the brain in a rational way that leads to a constructive retort.
2. Often times, people who say stupid things on the internet aren't worth the time responding to.
3. If seeing stupid comments annoys, refer back to point 1 and ignore said comments.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
In my opinion, such a reply from strangers on the internet should be ignored. It shouldn't have bothered you enough to create a thread. The fact that it did should be the real focus.

1. Sometimes people say stupid things on the internet, because they haven't take the time to engage the brain in a rational way that leads to a constructive retort.
2. Often times, people who say stupid things on the internet aren't worth the time responding to.
3. If seeing stupid comments annoys, refer back to point 1 and ignore said comments.

Why does one starting a thread must mean they're "bothered" by something in the unhealthy sense that you're implying? Does it look like I'm foaming at the mouth, losing sleep over this, etc? LOL! No. I'm not looking for a psychologist here. I simply think it's a noteworthy tick many people have, very similar to how many people will reply to disagreeing comments with the fatuous "Well that's your opinion" (whose other opinion could it possibly be?) instead of engaging in rational discussion. And you clearly agree with me based on the rest of your reply here, so there you go. If you don't think it was worthy of a thread, well, sorry 🤷🏼‍♂️

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Why does one starting a thread must mean they're "bothered" by something in the unhealthy sense that you're implying? Does it look like I'm foaming at the mouth, losing sleep over this, etc? LOL! No. I'm not looking for a psychologist here. I simply think it's a noteworthy tick many people have, very similar to how many people will reply to disagreeing comments with the fatuous "Well that's your opinion" (whose other opinion could it possibly be?) instead of engaging in rational discussion. And you clearly agree with me based on the rest of your reply here, so there you go. If you don't think it was worthy of a thread, well, sorry 🤷🏼‍♂️
If it didn't bother you in some way, why create a thread complaining about what you have observed? That makes no sense to me.

My post didn't state or imply anything with you is "unhealthy." You jumping to such a conclusion is you projecting context not made.

I have made my posts and don't see a need to continue further with this.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
If it didn't bother you in some way, why create a thread complaining about what you have observed? That makes no sense to me.

My post didn't state or imply anything with you is "unhealthy." You jumping to such a conclusion is you projecting context not made.

I have made my posts and don't see a need to continue further with this.

Robert, go back and read what you wrote:

It shouldn't have bothered you enough to create a thread. The fact that it did should be the real focus.

That's implying some sort of unhealthy degree of being "bothered" by this, so much that you're talking like you're my shrink or something trying to counsel me. It comes across as very condescending. Why are you trying to turn this discussion into one about my intentions or mindset for posting instead of the actual topic I'm posting about? Do you post this same reply to the hundreds of other threads on this forum where the thread revolves around some sort of "complaint" or negative observation? If I had made some over the top rage-filled rant in my OP, then I could see your reply being more apropos, but I simply calmly made an observation about something that I thought was an interesting pattern in online discussions. I'm not going throughout my day thinking about this constantly or losing sleep over it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You're taking it too seriously. People don't think about the comment they wrote three weeks ago. They've written a hundred more since then. You're right that people don't take responsibility for what they post, but it comes from us never thinking of things to be permanent to begin with and that someone was going to come across it in a search engine or scrolling through comments later on.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
You're taking it too seriously.

No, I'm not. Just having a discussion. If I said, "Hey guys, this is really stressing me out and making me furious" then I'd be taking it too seriously. Some of you guys read way, way too much into threads. Starting a thread on a forum isn't exactly an ultra serious thing that means the person is making a huge deal out of the topic. It's very casual.

People don't think about the comment they wrote three weeks ago.

Well then they have a choice. They get a notification that someone replied. If they have experienced amnesia and can't remember what they were thinking even after re-reading their comment, then they can either just move on or say so. If they want to rebut what I replied, then they can do so. To insult me for replying to their comment just because it went over some arbitrary expiration date in their mind is not a logical option.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, what I mean is that you're taking the whole commenting on the internet too seriously when it itself is very casual.

It is even very likely people don't even read your reply before they tell you to whatever. You, and loads of other people would love it if they weren't like that, but that's just how the general internet culture is and you just have to accept it.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
No, what I mean is that you're taking the whole commenting on the internet too seriously when it itself is very casual.

But I'm not. THEY seem to take it very seriously when they freak out about a reply to their comment due to its age, as if there's some sort of formal rule. I just think it's funny. I'm simply pointing out how dumb it is.

It is even very likely people don't even read your reply before they tell you to whatever. You, and loads of other people would love it if they weren't like that, but that's just how the general internet culture is and you just have to accept it.

I'm under no delusion that I'm going to change them. It's just a discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.