Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenRacicot

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
Providence, RI
Keeping 14” Black M3 Max 1TB 36GB RAM with 14 Cores.
#1. Until there’s Something twice as fast On the market
#2. or Apple updates the MacBook Pros with a new dual layer QD-OLED Display in 2026

I just feel bad for M2 owners they got DUPED!
Dude, my M1 Max fried in August, power AND screen, right in front of me… had no choice but to get a M2 replacement immediately.

Obviously I can’t return it and I’m not gonna take ~$1500 trade in fee to upgrade. I guess I just got unlucky.

dfj74

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2023
Well... a very long time for me.
I am writing this from a late 2009 21.5" iMac, which is my main daily machine for web browsing, email, etc. I have been tempted to upgrade many times, but honestly, this still works great for casual use. Responsive (even with many Safari tabs open), boots quickly, nearly silent, great screen, and frankly IMO looks better than the newer models.

The only thing I have changed since bought is an upgrade to 500Gb SSD, and it is patched up to Catalina. It has 8Gb RAM, upgradeable to 16Gb for the princely sum of around £20 or less.

I know I will eventually (soon) have to replace it, since MacOS Catalina has not been receiving security updates for a long while, and some applications do not work anymore (latest Chrome, Office, etc). But it grates me to have to throw a brilliant screen and a working computer which does not feel slow, and replace it for another that is complete overkill for my basic needs. And to add insult to injury, the base newer iMac would cost well over a grand and still have the same memory and a smaller drive than my 14 year old one.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
No way I replace my mac every few years! Too short and expensive 😂 My first Mac was MBA 11 inch base model and use that about 6-7 years then got high end of iMac 21.5 inch for 9 years, almost 10 and now have Mac Studio base model. Plan keep that for 10 years ish range.

Reactions: Ruftzooi and Torty

BenRacicot

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
Providence, RI
I’m glad to see this question. In August My M1 Max shorted for no reason during work. It was horrible timing and I had no choice but to buy a replacement M2M that day.

TL;DR 3 years max, prepare for planned/convenient obsolescence

After researching the situation I came across a lot of data insinuating an upgrade cycle we customers are “funneled” into.

Here’s some of it:
On the u/MacBook channel I noticed a huge number of complaints about shorted M1 MBPs.

I sent mine to Lois Rossman and they fixed the logic board. Said “this shouldn’t happen but does all the time”.

I’d LOVE to know stats on fried machine from June-October.

More research convinced me that the M-series MacBooks do short much more than the previous designs which makes sense for many reasons I won’t get into. Rossman agrees if you watch his YT channel.

3year Apple Care

Why is Apple care 3 years? That’s a strong signal. I believe you should no longer buy a Mac without maximum coverage. I would have been covered but what do ya know? My M1 fried 7 weeks before a sudden M3 launch.

So I’ll never buy without coverage and will always shoot for 3 generations of M-series chip ahead.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Dude, my M1 Max fried in August, power AND screen, right in front of me… had no choice but to get a M2 replacement immediately.

Obviously I can’t return it and I’m not gonna take ~$1500 trade in fee to upgrade. I guess I just got unlucky.
Wow, walk under any ladders ?

I can’t imagine, you must feel like strangling someone.

Reactions: BenRacicot

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
My M1 MBA replaced a Sony Vaio I’d custom configured in 2013, so I expect to be using it for about the same amount of time (5-7+ years).

3 years in, and it still looks like new as it’s left my house only a handful of times (of course the pandemic helped that) and gets only casual use for stuff that’s easier done on an actual computer vs my phone, which is what sees the most hours of use in a week by far.

Reactions: trusso

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I am planning to upgrade at the next redesign, which is rumored to be around 2025 or 2026. I need high-end specs (extra RAM, extra SSD), and I can't afford to get those every year. I will just use this one until then and buy an upgraded model of that generation.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
My goal is 3 years, but I ended up keeping my 2013 iMac for 8 years because the updates were too incremental, and my 24-inch iMac for 1.5 years (I just wasn't able to use Xcode with 256GB of storage).

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I have the M1 iMac. I love it, plus I've only had it since January.

I think it could last a long time. Once the OS updates stop, I might consider whatever the current model is at that time.

It's possible I'd be pushed to upgrade sooner if Mac gaming improved dramatically and I wanted to be able to take advantage of the better GPUs they have now.

Reactions: XboxEvolved

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
With Apple silicone now available for three years, is it a feasible option to upgrade yearly or maybe every other year? The specs and design upgrades are minimal, so how long do you plan to stick with your current devices before considering an upgrade?
At least 7-10 years as I did with intel. Basically, until modern apps stop running on it.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
It‘s insane reading people buying a new costly computer every 2 years like it’s a phone. In general I keep my computers for quite a long time. I’ve had the one I use since early 2021 and don’t plan to upgrade until 2026. In general I keep them for 5-8 years, sometimes 9-10 years (in the case of my PowerMac G4, and my specked out 24’ intel IMac). When I upgrade I am likely going to get the most powerful one I can (A Max or something) so that definitely will last 7+ years. I am starting to get like that with my phones and tablets also. By the time I upgrade my phone next year, I would have had my phone for 5 years.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Same. Upgrading a computer every year is properly mental, unless you have a job which for some reason requires the absolute bleeding edge of technology all the time, and also requires you to use macOS.
I got news for you. No job requires you to have the bleeding edge, if the thing you are replacing was bleeding edge a year or two ago. It’s just as you said being “properly mental”, which I guess is a fun way of saying “hyper-consumerism”.

Coreymac84

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
It‘s insane reading people buying a new costly computer every 2 years like it’s a phone. In general I keep my computers for quite a long time. I’ve had the one I use since early 2021 and don’t plan to upgrade until 2026. In general I keep them for 5-8 years, sometimes 9-10 years (in the case of my PowerMac G4, and my specked out 24’ intel IMac). When I upgrade I am likely going to get the most powerful one I can (A Max or something) so that definitely will last 7+ years. I am starting to get like that with my phones and tablets also. By the time I upgrade my phone next year, I would have had my phone for 5 years.

I'm on the 3 year upgrade cycle for Mac laptops (my average... I have had 2 devices for 5 years each but a couple shorter upgrade cycles between), but every upgrade has been a compelling one for ME since 2006. This is about the point some of us get bored with our consumer goods and enough tech advancement happens to make the newest model worth drooling over.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I usually keep 8 years(5 for Pro work, 3 as backup/home machine). My M1 Max 64 GB 16 MBP is going strong. Most likely will upgrade when M5 comes out, hopefully with 256 GB RAM and beefier GPU.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
3 years is the earliest, 4ish average, 5 is always long enough to feel the age of the machine, and one time I went past 6 and machine was so slow and felt very dated. Over the course of 15 years I’ve had 4 MacBooks, and will probdbly end up in M3 from the 16” Intel MBP (will be 5th).

Reactions: The Clark

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Still using a 2016 MacBook Pro but have my eyes peeled for M1 machines. For my light, household needs, I'm happy to run OpenCore on an older machine to keep up to date while saving my money for other things.

Reactions: trusso

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
I am a day-1 owner of a M1 Max Mac Studio (32gb, 2TB) and 15” M2 Air (24gb, 1TB). Both are great machines. For 0.68 seconds, I was tempted by the M3 but these 2 machines do everything I need without compromise. I will not be upgrading until the OS no longer supports the hardware.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I had a 2015 MacBook that I used for about 2.5-3 years. Replaced it with a 2018 MBP when it came out, and am still using it today.

The battery is somewhat deteriorated, but I don't often use it on battery so it's not worth replacing or getting an expensive top case replacement just for that. Other than that, it works well enough. I plan to keep it until it can't be upgraded anymore. And I don't want to give up my Touch Bar.

I'll be disappointed if Apple stops updating the 2018 next year, because it runs quite well and could easily go another 2+ years at minimum for me.

• Love
Reactions: rb2112 and ZircoBen

Bcn

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2021
I upgraded my MacBook Pro 2014 to 16gb Ram, still use it every day and it works quick enough). Loudspeakers can not do loud sound anymore without a cracking base and the battery is down to less than 2 hours. I will probably buy the the space Black m3 pro. Let’s see, if they offer gift cards inclusive the machine in the next weeks to come.

Reactions: ZircoBen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.