Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Back to the drawing board for Galaxy Gear and Moto 360 to utilize a Digital Crown for next year? Once again Apple introduces/popularizes a new user interface for the masses.

Any company can just throw an iPod nano on a wrist bank and call it a smart watch. Only Apple can think about the user interface to make it work.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
It is impossible to judge what is going to happen.
One scenario is that this watch will be a complete, utter flop, and that rivals will stray away from such a dial.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Back to the drawing board for Galaxy Gear and Moto 360 to utilize a Digital Crown for next year? Once again Apple introduces/popularizes a new user interface for the masses.

Any company can just throw an iPod nano on a wrist bank and call it a smart watch. Only Apple can think about the user interface to make it work.

You seriously think Apple has pioneered the jog wheel?

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013

As the primary interface for the smart watch? Yes.

That said, I'm not entirely sold. I think a touch-slide sensor on the side would have been a much more elegant solution than a tiny physical dial.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

Of course not, but other smart watches are (or soon, were) over reliant on touch that obscures the screen. It's one of those little things that is likely to totally catch on because Apple did it.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011

Times two. Also, please use reading comprehension before trying to derail this topic into a major tangent. I didn't say they invented the crown. I said they introduced it as the interface.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I'm not convinced.

1. People are now used to touch and swipe gestures. It's more instinctive and natural.

2. Despite the demo guy's best efforts to the convince us about obstructing the screen, he appeared to be swiping and tapping the screen far more than twirling the crown.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I'm not convinced.

1. People are now used to touch and swipe gestures. It's more instinctive and natural.

2. Despite the demo guy's best efforts to the convince us about obstructing the screen, he appeared to be swiping and tapping the screen far more than twirling the crown.

Swiping and tapping has its place for some gestures. Not for pinch to zoom.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Look, Apple invented the encoder! Oh, wait, no they didn't.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010

Something tells me you have your own reserved parking spot at One Infinite Loop.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Swiping and tapping has its place for some gestures. Not for pinch to zoom.

If you designed zooming on your smart watch (with or without pinch), you did something wrong.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
If you designed zooming on your smart watch (with or without pinch), you did something wrong.

My thoughts exactly.

Pinching/zooming/panning/scrolling on such a small screen tells me the app should be on a phone.

Problem is there's gonna be a ton of app developers making bad apps to make money with this silly crown to manoeuvre around. I think people will get bored with this fairly soon and just take out their phone instead.

Apple should have restricted the gestures to a tap or swipe.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

LOL. You ever tried winding a watch while it is on your wrist? Now try navigating menus with it. Gonna suck, big time!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
LOL. You ever tried winding a watch while it is on your wrist? Now try navigating menus with it. Gonna suck, big time!

It's probably not too bad. Unlike winding a traditional watch, you'll only be doing partial turns, not multiple full turns. Also, looking at the profile of it, it appears that you'll just be able to "roll" your finger over the dial instead of gripping it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The real question is, what took so long?

I present the Ventura V-Tec Alpha, with "EasySkroll" technology, circa 2004.

fancybox_b209_ventura_alpha.jpg

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
The problem with the crown seems to be that it's not easy to pan longer distances like with pinch and zoom. You have to zoom out using the crown, pan across by swiping, and then zoom in again with the crown.

I'm a developer of a map app and I have added a panning gesture that only requires one touch of one finger. Admittedly the finger gets in the way whilst touching, but one finger is less obstructive than two. And one touch is a lot easier than the multi-touch gymnastics of pinching.

Basically you press and hold with one finger. After a second (so it knows it's not a tap) the map begins to zoom out. The original area is shown with a box around your finger. When you get to the zoom level you want then you move your finger and position the box over the area that you wish to pan to. Let go and it zooms back in to that area. If you move to the edge of the screen then it auto-pans across in that direction.

It's actually a lot more simple and intuitive than it sounds. When I show people they are usually surprised it hasn't been thought of before (although maybe it has been, but isn't used for some reason).

It's also good for showing what area you are looking at, which is particularly useful on a very small screen. You don't need to move your finger when it is zoomed out, so just tapping and holding zooms out to show the surrounding area. When you have zoomed out far enough to know where you are then let go and it zooms back to where you started.

I don't know how effective the gesture will be on a watch screen - I guess it depends on the relative sizes of your finger and the screen. It doesn't replace pinching or zooming for operations where you actually want to change the scale, but is simpler for when you just want to see the area around where you are looking at, or want to pan to a different area but at the same scale.

It's not just for maps either. For example it could be useful when editing an image or reading a pdf on a screen that is too small to show the whole document.

It's described in more detail here if you are interested, along with a video of it in action in a very old and embarrassingly bad version of the app.

http://www.poison-maps.com/Gestures.html

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007

That said, I'm not entirely sold. I think a touch-slide sensor on the side would have been a much more elegant solution than a tiny physical dial.

Elegant, for sure. Precise, not.

I don't like at all the design, but i think as it is having a physical something is the only way to achieve precise input (i.e. set an alarm, etc.).

This said, that's the only thing i see, i honestly don't buy at all into zooming with that, i prefer pinching hands down. I don't care about seeing perfectly the content while zooming, i care about zooming fast and intuitively, and THEN look at the content.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011

Casio had a smart digital crown on their watches, before Apple.

Schnort

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
personally, a thumbwheel would have been an 'easier' interface. Or just a touch sensor down the left/right of the watch (slide up to zoom out, down to zoom in or something like that.)

Though, I suppose it all depends on whether or not you can turn the knob without using two fingers (and having one of them need to go between the knob and your wrist)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.